Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Supreme Court decision on O'BUMMER CARE TODAY????

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    demand free healthcare
    Politicians should be banned from attaching the word free to anything

Someone always pays

If you've got a policy then it has to be costed and explained, it may well be an excellent policy or it could be trash, that's why you have to explain it

Saying it is free is just an easy and attractive soundbite, sure no wonder they use it so often

We have "free healtcare" here. It costs 26% of the national budget every year
    This website tells me the US spend 17% every year
    http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/us_budget_pie_chart

I don't know the perfect solution for delivering healthcare but pumping tens of billions into something and calling it free to the end user is a politicians con
    Last edited by Irish Raven; 06-25-2012 at 07:26 AM. Reason: added last line

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    I don't know the perfect solution for delivering healthcare but pumping tens of billions into something and calling it free to the end user is a politicians con
    Well said
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blog Entries

That's what they did in Greece.

Demand free health care.

Now there's no Greece.

When my grand parents started their families no one had any health care. When my mother got sick her dad took her to the hospital and paid the bill because he had a job.

AMERICANS ARE RESILIENT.

RONALD REAGAN

When my brother lost his job 3 years ago and
    his health care his wife got a job and health care.

She was resilient.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    That's what they did in Greece.

Demand free health care.

Now there's no Greece.

When my grand parents started their families no one had any health care. When my mother got sick her dad took her to the hospital and paid the bill because he had a job.

AMERICANS ARE RESILIENT.

RONALD REAGAN

When my brother lost his job 3 years ago and
    his health care his wife got a job and health care.

She was resilient.
    I get what you're saying, but medicine and medical attention was nowhere nearly as expensive back then as it is now.

Insurance is the biggest culprit for their costs.

However, the cost for developing new drugs is insane and the process for getting FDA approval on drugs is nothing short of tedious and time consuming.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewh...ing-new-drugs/

...the average cost of bringing a new drug to market is $1.3 billion...
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I get what you're saying, but medicine and medical attention was nowhere nearly as expensive back then as it is now.

However, the cost for developing new drugs is insane and the process for getting FDA approval on drugs is nothing short of tedious and time consuming.

At the risk of rehashing old discussions. That is partly true. Insurance cost are high not because of Insurance company profits (they have like a 2 -3% profit margin) but because medical cost are high, due to things like bureaucracy and requirements of paperwork, software to accommodate privacy etc. just to name a few things.

I just went to the doctor and when asked how much to pay cash, they took 35% off the bill.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    At the risk of rehashing old discussions. That is partly true. Insurance cost are high not because of Insurance company profits (they have like a 2 -3% profit margin) but because medical cost are high, due to things like bureaucracy and requirements of paperwork, software to accommodate privacy etc. just to name a few things.

I just went to the doctor and when asked how much to pay cash, they took 35% off the bill.

Haha, wow. Not surprising.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    Politicians should be banned from attaching the word free to anything

Someone always pays

If you've got a policy then it has to be costed and explained, it may well be an excellent policy or it could be trash, that's why you have to explain it

Saying it is free is just an easy and attractive soundbite, sure no wonder they use it so often

We have "free healtcare" here. It costs 26% of the national budget every year
    This website tells me the US spend 17% every year
    http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/us_budget_pie_chart

I think you missed my sarcasm. The way current healthcare is set up in the U.S. as a product of EMTALA of 1986 is if you walk into the emergency room injured or sick, the ermergency room staff must treat you. So in essence, those who don't purchase health insurance, can get "free" servce in the emergency room. Of course it isn't free since health insurance premiums go up as a result of increasing healthcare costs and we all pay for these folks.

The Affordable Healthcare Act was a way around this with the individual mandate. The Individual Mandate was a conservative-born idea and was even supported by GOP candidate McCain during the 2008 Presidential debates. It only became "big scary government" when Obama agreed to it in order to pass the Affordable Healthcare Act.

I think you missed my sarcasm. The way current healthcare is set up in the U.S. as a product of EMTALA of 1986 is if you walk into the emergency room injured or sick, the ermergency room staff must treat you. So in essence, those who don't purchase health insurance, can get "free" servce in the emergency room. Of course it isn't free since health insurance premiums go up as a result of increasing healthcare costs and we all pay for these folks.

The Affordable Healthcare Act was a way around this with the individual mandate. The Individual Mandate was a conservative-born idea and was even supported by GOP candidate McCain during the 2008 Presidential debates. It only became "big scary government" when Obama agreed to it in order to pass the Affordable Healthcare Act.
    BS. The reason it was a conservative idea it because it is a good idea that everyone have insurance and be personally responsible. The reason it didn't go anywhere is because of why people oppose it now. Simply put, tyranny.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin

I think you missed my sarcasm.
    I'm always doing that

As far as the decision on AZ immigration law. That one baffles me.

How do you let me check the status of someone but basically do nothing about it?

Crazy.

Folks, Let's debate this issue without the insults please.

I'd hate to shut this one down so close to the ruling.

Carry on ....
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Medicine was expensive back then too. The
    average salary in 1913 was $600 pr yr. My
    grandfather was in the ground floor of something new called plumbing and started his own business. He put in most of the original plumbing out Wilkens Ave and much of SW Baltimore.

A good plumber averaged $25 pr wk. That's $100 pr mo. With that he built his first home, bought a Model T Ford, got married and had a baby - five more up til 1930.

BTW, that hospital my grand father used was a union owned and run hospital. He couldn't afford a regular one like U of MD General Hospital etc. One of the benefits of the job.
    He was their first Business Agent.

Benjamin Franklin started the first US Public Hospital in Philly for people that couldn't afford to go. That was his contribution to society and it's still there.

Point is, medicine was always expensive and of course it's more expensive now. Salaries are a lot higher than $25 pr week.

Hell, people on well fare make much more than that now. Yea, insurance today is sky rocketing costs. Over 25% of my fixed income goes
    to medicine but if OBUMMBER CARE stands
    and OBY is re-elected, he will do away with
    private insurance all together and make the gov't the sole insurance carrier.

Can you say Greece.

BTW, I don't see any personal insults in this
    thread.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-25-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.