Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 73 to 84 of 103
  1. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,139

    Re: I would like to exercise my 2nd...



    Wicked, did you pick up the Beretta yet?

    Mrs. HR is about to get her concealed carry license and I am very curious how you like it. That's one of the weapons I am looking to get for her.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,262
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: I would like to exercise my 2nd...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Wicked, did you pick up the Beretta yet?

    Mrs. HR is about to get her concealed carry license and I am very curious how you like it. That's one of the weapons I am looking to get for her.
    I shot it, but I'm still weighing the options. I was able to find a place up here that carries the Beretta and the S&W I was looking at. I liked the Beretta a lot more. The S&W was nice, but the beretta was just a lot more comfortable...and lighter actually.

    I'm finding that I can get the gun online for a lot cheaper than at a store. The same gun I shot I can get online for less than $400, but at the store I demo'ed it at I think the price tag was about $150 more.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,262
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: I would like to exercise my 2nd...

    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,139
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm finding that I can get the gun online for a lot cheaper than at a store. The same gun I shot I can get online for less than $400, but at the store I demo'ed it at I think the price tag was about $150 more.
    Have you found a reputable Class III arms dealer in your area? They won't deliver the weapon to your house.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,262
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: I would like to exercise my 2nd...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Have you found a reputable Class III arms dealer in your area? They won't deliver the weapon to your house.
    Well, yea, the range I was at will accept deliveries for me, but I would imagine with the "delivery fee" they would charge it would probably be about the same price, no?
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  6. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,123

    Re: I would like to exercise my 2nd...

    My local dealer charges $30. But they sell the Glock I am getting (this weekend) for $10 cheaper. One thing I wonder is do they charge tax on something I have delivered there??? The online store(s) doesn't, so it may be cheaper to go online depending on sales tax...

    I would just call and ask them Wicked what they charge for a "handling fee"
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  7. #79

    Re: I would like to exercise my 2nd...

    Going monday to acquire one of my own(after my 7-10 day wait).

    I will be buying a medium frame Glock.
    The question now is, to HR and others...

    Should I buy a larger calibre then the Glock 19 9mm?
    I will open carry at work, with their permission and within the law, based on where I work. I buy gold for cash in PG county. I would liek a gun fit for this purpose(personal defense) but would also like for it to be affordable to train with. I am comfortable with the Glock 19 and have fired it successfully with relative ease in retargetting quickly on successive rounds. So the main question is whether I would be shortchanging myself from a stopping power/ammo capacity/affordability tradeoff perspective. I have not shot a larget calibre handgun and would before I purchased, but don't see it being a huge issue. i think that it would perhaps slow down or perhaps lessen my accuracy on repeated shots.
    As a minor point, my wife has also shot the Glock 19 and enjoys range days. This isn't rally a concern as I can easily rent what she wants for $5 when we do so. But, should the gun make it back home I would be MUCH more comfortable with her firing said 9mm then a larger calibre.

    So the basic question, is that 9mm is basically considered the minimum for self protection. Am I endangering myself by choosing said calibre over a larger one? I can and will test out .40 and .45 calibres to maintain safety and will literally "bite the bullet" on more expensive ammo if I would be significantly safer with the calibre assuming I can safely and comfortably operate it.




  8. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,123

    Re: I would like to exercise my 2nd...

    I would not go with a 9mm. The ammo is cheaper BUT if you only have time for a shot or two, you might wanna make it count

    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  9. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,139

    Re: I would like to exercise my 2nd...

    I always preach comfort over everything else. I don't think there is a minimum calibre for self defense. I've seen a .22 do plenty of damage.

    If you're fine with 9mm, then I say go for it. In the heat of the moment, you want accuracy and dependability above all else. When you throw in that cost is an issue, a 9mm makes even more sense for you. I'd suggest you not carry anything of a higher calibre until you've become as comfortable with it as a 9mm. A .45 going off in an untrained hand is quite a lot to ask, especially for your wife.

    That said, consider self defense rounds in the gun when it's at home or when you're carrying. This will add to the stopping power. I am a big fan of Hornady TAP self defense rounds myself but I know a lot of folks who prefer Federal Hydra Shock.

    I carry a Glock 19 Gen4 most of the time (and sometimes carry a Kimber 1911 CDP when Im feeling like a .45) and it's a great weapon. It will always go bang and if it ever breaks, Glock will back it up no questions asked. I highly recommend you get the Gen 4 if you can find it. Lots of upgrades, smoother trigger pull and a redesigned spring.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #82

    Re: I would like to exercise my 2nd...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I always preach comfort over everything else. I don't think there is a minimum calibre for self defense. I've seen a .22 do plenty of damage.

    If you're fine with 9mm, then I say go for it. In the heat of the moment, you want accuracy and dependability above all else. When you throw in that cost is an issue, a 9mm makes even more sense for you. I'd suggest you not carry anything of a higher calibre until you've become as comfortable with it as a 9mm. A .45 going off in an untrained hand is quite a lot to ask, especially for your wife.

    That said, consider self defense rounds in the gun when it's at home or when you're carrying. This will add to the stopping power. I am a big fan of Hornady TAP self defense rounds myself but I know a lot of folks who prefer Federal Hydra Shock.

    I carry a Glock 19 Gen4 most of the time (and sometimes carry a Kimber 1911 CDP when Im feeling like a .45) and it's a great weapon. It will always go bang and if it ever breaks, Glock will back it up no questions asked. I highly recommend you get the Gen 4 if you can find it. Lots of upgrades, smoother trigger pull and a redesigned spring.
    Comfort is trump in this situation, with that I agree. Additionally, target rounds and carry rounds will be different as you mention. I will not be going down to .22 but I see your point. My wife's comfort level is really a bonus as the gun will likely not be kept at home for the forseeable future, and as i mentioned $5 rental really isn't going to break me. Target round cost is a hangup I am somewhat worried about as I would rather have a gun I am comfortable with above all else. If I get a .45 I jsut feel that I may go to the range less, so any advantage may be lost jsut as fast.

    I think, at the moment, that I will likely buy from the range, and probably will try a glock 23 before I make my midn up. from the previously posted chart, the .40 calibre might be the best compromise. I believe the range I go to charges around $12-15 for 50 shots of 9mm whereas it's more like $25 bucks for 40 shots of .45. Should I expect the .40 calibre rounds to split the difference?




  11. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,139
    You get what you pay for with ammo. .40 is going to more expensive than 9mm simply because it's not as readily available as 9mm.

    Nobody who has been shot has ever been thankful it was 9mm. You can compensate for the bullet size with velocity and type of round.

    A fast 9mm hollow point round will do every bit of damage a .40 with average velocity.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  12. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,123

    Re: I would like to exercise my 2nd...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    You get what you pay for with ammo. .40 is going to more expensive than 9mm simply because it's not as readily available as 9mm.

    Nobody who has been shot has ever been thankful it was 9mm. You can compensate for the bullet size with velocity and type of round.

    A fast 9mm hollow point round will do every bit of damage a .40 with average velocity.
    Very valid point.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland