Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 43
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,374
    Blog Entries
    3

    OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football



    http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...-team-playoff/


    Glad to finally see this be implemented. It's been too long. I think eventually it should move to a 6 team playoff (with the 1st and 2nd ranked team receiving a bye and teams 3,4,5, and 6 play each other, etc).
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,266

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    Lipstick on a pig.

    Yes, the powers that be granted us a playoff system of sorts. But take a closer look. They are going to use the top 4 teams as calculated by that dreadful computer program. Schools like Boise State, TCU, etc are still going to get the shaft. And they are being all hush hush about who gets what piece of the financial pie.

    And I'd expect the championship game to be played in Cowboys Stadium every other year since the person with the highest bid will receive the championship game every year. Not many folks can compete with Jerry Jones in terms of cash on hand.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,374
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Lipstick on a pig.

    Yes, the powers that be granted us a playoff system of sorts. But take a closer look. They are going to use the top 4 teams as calculated by that dreadful computer program. Schools like Boise State, TCU, etc are still going to get the shaft. And they are being all hush hush about who gets what piece of the financial pie.

    And I'd expect the championship game to be played in Cowboys Stadium every other year since the person with the highest bid will receive the championship game every year. Not many folks can compete with Jerry Jones in terms of cash on hand.

    Good point.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    13,516
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    I hate it. It's all about the money and I think it will water down the bowl games which I have always enjoyed.

    Once every three years or so there was a team that felt they got slighted by not going to the championship game. Now that there are four teams, it's gonna be more teams feeling slighted. How will they decide? By some unnamed committee again.. I'm sure they love the controversy and attention and it'll quickly move to an 8 team playoff but it's still decided by polls and committees
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hazzard County
    Posts
    1,095

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    They finally try to fix it, and still fuck it up. 4 teams is a joke, and what is the criteria for their selection? Should have at least 1 team per conference.




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    13,516
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    They finally try to fix it, and still fuck it up. 4 teams is a joke, and what is the criteria for their selection? Should have at least 1 team per conference.
    If that was the case Alabama wouldn't have made it last year.... and Boise will never get a shot.
    They've just set up a system that will have people crying foul all over the place. But they'll make a boatload of money. At least that's my first reaction
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,144

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    I think it's better than what there was.

    4 teams is enough for me, I mean at the end of the day, how many teams last year had a legitimate gripe to play for the national championship?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    2,189
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    It's a move in the right direction, although I think it should have been 8 teams. This is most likely a trial thing and it will get expanded to 8 teams a couple of years after this one starts. I do still hate the way the 4 teams are decided though.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hazzard County
    Posts
    1,095

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    If that was the case Alabama wouldn't have made it last year.... and Boise will never get a shot.
    They've just set up a system that will have people crying foul all over the place. But they'll make a boatload of money. At least that's my first reaction
    I would like to see more than 1 per conference, but at least 1 per + the independents.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,374
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    They have to consider the implications of having more than a 4 team playoff. Anymore and you run the risk of extending the season into the next semester. These are still students we're talking about here.

    I agree it's not perfect, but what I like about it is that it will help define who the actual best team is.

    Regarding teams like TCU and Boise...they need to go to a better conference or just accept it. It sucks, yes, but what are you going to do? Could Boise state go undefeated at home for the past however many years (10 years I think?) all while playing in the SEC against SEC competition? Probably not.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    2,189
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    They have to consider the implications of having more than a 4 team playoff. Anymore and you run the risk of extending the season into the next semester. These are still students we're talking about here.

    I agree it's not perfect, but what I like about it is that it will help define who the actual best team is.

    Regarding teams like TCU and Boise...they need to go to a better conference or just accept it. It sucks, yes, but what are you going to do? Could Boise state go undefeated at home for the past however many years (10 years I think?) all while playing in the SEC against SEC competition? Probably not.
    I think they could tweak the Bowl schedule to prevent that and not have the games spread out so much. It would also prevent the teams in the National Championship from having a month off before they play the game.

    I agree about them changing confrences though. You want to be ranked with the big dogs, then play with the big dogs.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    13,516
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    What choices do teams like Boise and TCU have regarding conferences? Boise announced they were joining the Big East (hardly a football powerhouse) and now there are rumblings that they'll stay in the MW. These contracts have serious financial penalties if broken
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland