Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 134
  1. #49

    Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?



    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I disagree, Bernard Pollard was a better hitter than Landry, I never seen Pollard get driven back like Landry did against Peyton Hillis...
    Ray lewis got trucked by hillis that yeae as well as the rest of the team. Hillis in 2010 was a man on a mission, i wont hold that against landry or anyone. If pollard was here he wiuldve been trucked too. Id say both go for big hits but pollard is a little more sure of a tackler, because he wraps up more but landrys tackling issues imo have been blown out of proportion. Theyre very similar players and landry looked just as good or better for one season too.

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't think it's Joe for the Ravens fans but I agree that most fans of other teams would say that. I know in my office where I am the only Ravens fan I constantly here that Joe is the weak link of our team.

    I still dont get how anyone comes to that conclusion but it seems to be popular amongst ravens fans.
    -JAB




  2. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    11,848
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Ray lewis got trucked by hillis that yeae as well as the rest of the team. Hillis in 2010 was a man on a mission, i wont hold that against landry or anyone. If pollard was here he wiuldve been trucked too. Id say both go for big hits but pollard is a little more sure of a tackler, because he wraps up more but landrys tackling issues imo have been blown out of proportion. Theyre very similar players and landry looked just as good or better for one season too.




    I still dont get how anyone comes to that conclusion but it seems to be popular amongst ravens fans.
    Most fans of other teams aren't seeing too many Ravens games. When they do it's in the playoffs where the Ravens lose in some heartbreaking way without scoring a lot of points. That see that and they hear Joe joking around about being the best QB in the NFL and they think this guy is delusional.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  3. #51

    Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    I am shocked at some of the names on this list...Ray RIce, really?? Wow!! I would say some of the names listed are based on what people want them to be and not what they actually are. Boldin is not Calvin Johnson but no one who knows the game expected him to be. I always thought Zibby and haruki were over rated when they were here but really could not come up with quick answer. Flacco and Rice...I am damn glad they are Ravens.
    Yeah, really. RBs are probably the most replaceable player on a football team. Its silly when teams dish out huge contracts to "superstar" RBs when they are never going to have long careers. Every year there is a young stud coming out who is going to blow away the older guys. Teams like the Patriots and Broncos realize this. They never pay big money to their runners, yet always have successful running games. You don't need a superstar big money back, you just need a guy with talents that fit your scheme. Ray Rice is a good runner, probably not going to drop off much for the next couple of years, but is easily one of the most replaceable guys on the team just by virtue of his position.




  4. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    20,994
    When people say Ray Rice, I think they are confusing the issue.

    Ray Rice is a great talent so I don't think he's overrated. Teams must game plan for him and even then, he still finds a way to get yards and TD's.

    Now can someone make the claim that he's overVALUED? Yes. He plays the one position in football that's relatively easy to replace.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #53

    Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    When people say Ray Rice, I think they are confusing the issue.

    Ray Rice is a great talent so I don't think he's overrated. Teams must game plan for him and even then, he still finds a way to get yards and TD's.

    Now can someone make the claim that he's overVALUED? Yes. He plays the one position in football that's relatively easy to replace.
    I think youre right that there is some confusion. Theres also another thought that as a RB hes top 5 because of what he brings in the passing game. As a Runner only hes still very good, but not as elite when looking at just that aspect of a RB.

    The media was talking about LT a lot this week and where he rates as a RB. As a total package hes probably top 5 all time, with faulk and others, when considering his total yards and what he brought. As strictly Running the ball hes not making it past Brown, Payton, Smith, Dickerson, Sanders, etc. He wasnt a good of a runner as those guys, but he was more of a complete back than some of them.

    I still dont think you can call somebody overrated thats still considered elite at his position though. Rice is a top 5 back, even if you can bring in a guy and get 80% of his production, hes still better and worthy of that elite status. Overrated in one aspect doesnt exactly coincide with this discussion, i dont believe.
    -JAB




  6. #54

    Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?

    Anquan Boldin has been misused, but couldn't the same be said for Oher? Oher looked good, as a rookie, at RT. Since then, they've been moving him around too much. How do you expect him to be consistent, under those circumstances?

    The issue with Landry is that he seemed to find a way to miss the more important tackles or blow the more important assignments.

    Ellerbe seemed to have maturity issues, followed by an injury. So, I think the jury is still out on him.

    Ray Rice is a great player, but really should get even better production with the touches he gets, unless you want to say that he might have worn down.

    Ray Lewis misses more tackles now than he used to, but his contributions as a leader tend to be undervalued. Was the team able to play well without him, because they had more athleticism at the position or due to how he motivated the players around him?

    Ben Grubbs was consistently good, but not great and that was never enough for some fans. So, I can see why some would view him as overrated, because they expected more from him.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  7. #55

    Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think youre right that there is some confusion. Theres also another thought that as a RB hes top 5 because of what he brings in the passing game. As a Runner only hes still very good, but not as elite when looking at just that aspect of a RB.

    The media was talking about LT a lot this week and where he rates as a RB. As a total package hes probably top 5 all time, with faulk and others, when considering his total yards and what he brought. As strictly Running the ball hes not making it past Brown, Payton, Smith, Dickerson, Sanders, etc. He wasnt a good of a runner as those guys, but he was more of a complete back than some of them.

    I still dont think you can call somebody overrated thats still considered elite at his position though. Rice is a top 5 back, even if you can bring in a guy and get 80% of his production, hes still better and worthy of that elite status. Overrated in one aspect doesnt exactly coincide with this discussion, i dont believe.
    I agree with this post. If you look at past Ravens they almost always used two RBs. One guy that was primarily a runner and another guy that was good catching the ball. Jamal Lewis and Chester Taylor. With Rice they get a good runner and a great APB.




  8. #56

    Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?

    When I hear "overrated" I think "the media and general public think he's better than he is--those who are really paying attention know different." So, in that respect, I can't say Ray Lewis because the general media narrative is that he's old and a shadow of his former self. Which, quite frankly, is accurate, even if "a shadow of his former self" is still among the better ILBs in the league. So I wouldn't call Ray Lewis overrated, not according to the general public's perception.

    The same goes for guys like Ed Reed and Matt Birk--I think the general media perception of them is correct. They're old and have lost a step or two. I think the pendulum has swung the other way for Ravens fans with Birk; a lot of posters here are really rating him low while independent evaluators continue to grade him among the top 10 or so centers in the league. I'm not sure he's a Pro Bowler anymore but he's still more than good enough to get by and not the OL's weakest link by far.

    According to my definition, Ben Grubbs is a possibility--he got paid like a top 10 or so guard in the league and the media called him a suitable replacement for Carl Nicks. He isn't either of those things. He's not with the Ravens anymore obviously.

    Ed Dickson is seen as an up-and-coming guy with a lot of talent who can stretch the field. In reality, based on the tape we've seen so far, he's a drop-happy guy who averaged under 10 yards per catch and didn't do enough to justify seeing the targets that he did (I think he was the 5th most targeted TE in the AFC.)




  9. #57

    Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?





  10. #58

    Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?

    Flacco is one of the most underrated players in NFL history. If you look at the bulk of the QBs who currently have their busts in Canton and put their resumes after four years up against Flacco---- they are miles behind from a wins and stats perspective. Until he wins a super bowl, I realize that Joe won't be up for HOF consideration, but no QB in NFL history (aside from Marino) has accomplished more this early in his career. He has been highly durable and has won at an unparalleled frequency.




  11. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    905

    Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?

    Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    This article over on baltimoreravens.com says that ESPN Insider KC Joyner considers Flacco to be overrated.

    “Flacco put himself on this list by saying in an April radio interview that he thinks he is the best quarterback in the NFL,” Joyner wrote.

    http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...errated-raven/

    Not that I really care what ESPN has to say these days, just thought I'd throw this into the mix.
    It also goes to show that some people who are paid to write and talk about the NFL can't really read or comprehend too well, which of course brings the spotlight back at them showing how they, themselves are overrated as so called "experts".

    Flacco really never stated he was the best in the NFL, just that any quarterback in order to succeed in the NFL must believe inside they are the best. And it pretty much stated that in said article, but as usual, the media, with the overall Forrest IQ, can't comprehend. So be it and not a surprise.
    If Evans holds onto the ball, Flacco would have been a super bowl quarterback with a very good chance at being a champion quarterback.




  12. #60

    Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?

    Overrated Ravens:

    Michael Oher
    Joe Flacco (overrated by fans; underrated by general public)
    Ray Lewis (old and slow)
    Ed Reed (see Lewis above)
    Matt Birk
    Cam




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland