Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Results 85 to 96 of 125
  1. #85

    Re: Steelers Ink Antonio Brown



    Casey Hampton will get cut as well and possibly Ryan clark and more to come. They can also kiss mendenhall good bye as well




  2. #86

    Re: Steelers Ink Antonio Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    From the numbers youre posting i think that much is clear. Its not about want as wicked stated, clearly theyd rather have him than not, its about ability to actually do it. I really thought theyd have to purge this year, luckily they used the rfa tender as opposed to franchise, gambling nobody would spend a first for him correctly. They certainly did mortgage their future though with those restructures. Im not sure who our cap guy is but im thankful that we never do that so we can be consistent year in year out and keep the window open longer. Please do post the blog here, its interesting the differences in how were run and whos possibly getting axe, besides harrison who seems pretty likely.
    One thing I messed up on after looking at my spreadsheet, Harrison has TWO years left after this one and NOT one! That is a HUGE difference. They can't release him, it wouldn't save any money. So next year they will have a 35 year old pass rusher who is already in decline taking up 11 million in cap space...and they are stuck with him.

    Wow....it is even worse than I thought.

    And to the Ravens for a comparison, they have the next 2 years right around 80 million with their top 12 guys, including if Lewis and Reed stay around and extension for Flacco. If for some reason Lewis and Reed aren't around we are at about $70 million.

    Steelers on the other hand are at 100 million again in 2014, and that is with only 10 big contracts not 12 like the Ravens have accounted for. That is with Hampton, Keisel, and Clark coming off the books.

    The future is bright for us and the division for the next couple years, that is for damn sure.

    I will try to work on the article, but it is going to take some time crunching all these numbers in depth and figuring out just how in the hell they are going to deal with this.




  3. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,708
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Steelers Ink Antonio Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Wicked, they don't have the money to franchise him.

    Trust me on this one. They are going to be hard pressed to field a team with how bad the cap situation is, it is unlike anything I have ever seen before. Instead of making some tough choices this year, they kicked the can down the road to 2013 and it is flat out ugly the position they are in next year. They counted on the cap going up and it is staying flat.

    Right now they have 31 players for 2013 taking up 125 million. 31!! They have restructured to the hilt the past 2 years and can't even release a lot of players to save big because the dead money will negate the savings......from all the restructuring.

    http://steelersspreadsheet.wordpress.com/

    Only way they would have money to franchise Wallace is a straight purge ala 2002 Ravens. Honestly they might have to do that even without Wallace it is that bad.

    I might write up a detailed article sometime soon to explain it a little better and go player by player, and how they got in this position. They sold out the past two years to keep their core together, and they are going to be paying for it dearly in 2013.
    They're going to have to purge. I don't see what choice they have unless they keep pushing money into future caps, but sooner or later that will catch up.

    I think the Steelers will still be competitive, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them very young and inexperienced for the next few years...

    Max Starks, Casey Hampton, Larry Foote, Ryan Clark, Heath Miller, Willie Colon, Rashard Mendenhall, James Harrison...none of those guys should be feeling real comfortable right now.

    Also, you know at some point in the next few years guys like Lawrence Timmons, Pouncey, Sanders, etc are all going to be wanting contracts.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #88

    Re: Steelers Ink Antonio Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    They're going to have to purge. I don't see what choice they have unless they keep pushing money into future caps, but sooner or later that will catch up.

    I think the Steelers will still be competitive, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them very young and inexperienced for the next few years...

    Max Starks, Casey Hampton, Larry Foote, Ryan Clark, Heath Miller, Willie Colon, Rashard Mendenhall, James Harrison...none of those guys should be feeling real comfortable right now.

    Also, you know at some point in the next few years guys like Lawrence Timmons, Pouncey, Sanders, etc are all going to be wanting contracts.
    The more I look at this the more I am thinking they don't have any other options.

    The problem is they have restructured all of the top deals, so even if they decide to bite the bullet and start cutting guys the savings just aren't going to be there with the dead money. They could have lessened the pain by starting this process in 2012, and spread it out over 2 years into 2013. Instead they did they opposite, tried to hang on for one more year and prayed the cap would go up to help them. It backfired.

    I am working on an article right now, going player by player and seeing if there is any possible way to make this work. Not seeing it, even with a purge.




  5. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,708
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Steelers Ink Antonio Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    One thing I messed up on after looking at my spreadsheet, Harrison has TWO years left after this one and NOT one! That is a HUGE difference. They can't release him, it wouldn't save any money. So next year they will have a 35 year old pass rusher who is already in decline taking up 11 million in cap space...and they are stuck with him.

    Wow....it is even worse than I thought.

    And to the Ravens for a comparison, they have the next 2 years right around 80 million with their top 12 guys, including if Lewis and Reed stay around and extension for Flacco. If for some reason Lewis and Reed aren't around we are at about $70 million.

    Steelers on the other hand are at 100 million again in 2014, and that is with only 10 big contracts not 12 like the Ravens have accounted for. That is with Hampton, Keisel, and Clark coming off the books.

    The future is bright for us and the division for the next couple years, that is for damn sure.

    I will try to work on the article, but it is going to take some time crunching all these numbers in depth and figuring out just how in the hell they are going to deal with this.
    Hmm...maybe there will be some cap room to bring in some big ticket guys? Not that I think that's how the Ravens roll, but if they have upwards of $40 mill to spare, might as well consider it...

    Greg Jennings
    Dwayne Bowe
    Mike Wallace
    Will Svitek
    Ryan Clady
    Duane Brown
    Brandon Albert
    Jake Long
    Jermon Bushrod
    Max Unger
    Geoff Hangartner
    Rey Maualuga
    William Moore
    Louis Delmas


    Obviously not many, if any, will actually be free agents, but it's possible and the Ravens will have money to throw at them.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  6. #90

    Re: Steelers Ink Antonio Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Hmm...maybe there will be some cap room to bring in some big ticket guys? Not that I think that's how the Ravens roll, but if they have upwards of $40 mill to spare, might as well consider it...

    Greg Jennings
    Dwayne Bowe
    Mike Wallace
    Will Svitek
    Ryan Clady
    Duane Brown
    Brandon Albert
    Jake Long
    Jermon Bushrod
    Max Unger
    Geoff Hangartner
    Rey Maualuga
    William Moore
    Louis Delmas


    Obviously not many, if any, will actually be free agents, but it's possible and the Ravens will have money to throw at them.
    You have to remember though, there are still RFA's EFA's draft pool own FA etc and the other 40 players that eats up the cap money quick. 40 million may sound like a lot, but not really.

    I was just pointing out how the Ravens have structured all their top money perfectly even over the next 3 years while the Steelers have been pushing back for 2 years and finally have to pay up. I think we might have restructured one small contract and that is it.

    When all is said and done we might have around 8-10 million to play with (guess), or basically the money we had Rice locked up for, eating up our "spending money" in 2012. You could conceivably afford ONE big name addition if that is the case in 2013.

    Either way, our main competition is screwed. That is a fact. And I love it.




  7. #91

    Re: Steelers Ink Antonio Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Hmm...maybe there will be some cap room to bring in some big ticket guys? Not that I think that's how the Ravens roll, but if they have upwards of $40 mill to spare, might as well consider it...

    Greg Jennings
    Dwayne Bowe
    Mike Wallace
    Will Svitek
    Ryan Clady
    Duane Brown
    Brandon Albert
    Jake Long
    Jermon Bushrod
    Max Unger
    Geoff Hangartner
    Rey Maualuga
    William Moore
    Louis Delmas


    Obviously not many, if any, will actually be free agents, but it's possible and the Ravens will have money to throw at them.
    You have to remember though, there are still RFA's EFA's draft pool own FA etc and the other 40 players that eats up the cap money quick. 40 million may sound like a lot, but not really.

    I was just pointing out how the Ravens have structured all their top money perfectly even over the next 3 years while the Steelers have been pushing back for 2 years and finally have to pay up. I think we might have restructured one small contract and that is it.

    When all is said and done we might have around 8-10 million to play with (guess), or basically the money we had Rice locked up for, eating up our "spending money" in 2012. You could conceivably afford ONE big name addition if that is the case in 2013.

    Either way, our main competition is screwed. That is a fact. And I love it.




  8. #92

    Re: Steelers Ink Antonio Brown

    Jake Long on that list

    Wow, now that would be a big signing!

    Might never happen but I can dream




  9. #93

    Re: Steelers Ink Antonio Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    So, realistically, IF Mike Wallace sits out you're looking at a very underwhelming WR unit.

    IMO, they don't have a choice but to try and work something out with Wallace otherwise their passing offense is going to be difficult to work with just from a talent perspective. I can't believe they aren't considering Plax or even TO just for some depth.
    Almost every receiver corps in the NFL could say that, so it's not really fair to say "Sit Pitt's #1 and our WRs are better." I mean, I guess I get you're talking about the future whenever he's no longer with the team (assuming they don't sign him long-term). But that's still not really apples to apples. A lot can happen in a year. Last year we didn't think the Ravens had much at receiver behind Boldin...you can say the same about the Steelers now. Between now and next year, it's possible Sanders or someone else breaks out the way Torrey Smith did.

    - C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

    www.oblongspheroid.com

    A blog about any and everything football.

    Twitter: oblong_spheroid




  10. #94

    Re: Steelers Ink Antonio Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    One thing I messed up on after looking at my spreadsheet, Harrison has TWO years left after this one and NOT one! That is a HUGE difference. They can't release him, it wouldn't save any money. So next year they will have a 35 year old pass rusher who is already in decline taking up 11 million in cap space...and they are stuck with him.

    Wow....it is even worse than I thought.
    How do you figure that they won't "save" any money by releasing Harrison after this season? From what I have read they would save either $5M or $8M (depending on whether $3M of his non-base salary 2013 comp. is considered a roster bonus) by releasing him. It is impossible to even imagine a structure that does not allow for some savings, considering the contract details we do know. Now whether that savings is so small as to not be worth it when also weighing the fact that you lose the player (and his production) is another matter; but assuming you consider him worthless, releasing him will save some cap space.

    Bonuses are only spread over 5 years. Next year is the fifth year of the deal (the total deal was for 6 years, signed in 2009 before the 2009 season). There would be no dead cap space from the 6th year of the deal, as far as I can see.




  11. #95

    Re: Steelers Ink Antonio Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    How do you figure that they won't "save" any money by releasing Harrison after this season? From what I have read they would save either $5M or $8M (depending on whether $3M of his non-base salary 2013 comp. is considered a roster bonus) by releasing him. It is impossible to even imagine a structure that does not allow for some savings, considering the contract details we do know. Now whether that savings is so small as to not be worth it when also weighing the fact that you lose the player (and his production) is another matter; but assuming you consider him worthless, releasing him will save some cap space.

    Bonuses are only spread over 5 years. Next year is the fifth year of the deal (the total deal was for 6 years, signed in 2009 before the 2009 season). There would be no dead cap space from the 6th year of the deal, as far as I can see.
    They restructured him though, do they still have to stay within those 5 years at that point? I thought they could move that money across any the remaining years?
    -JAB




  12. #96

    Re: Steelers Ink Antonio Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    They restructured him though, do they still have to stay within those 5 years at that point? I thought they could move that money across any the remaining years?
    When and how did they restructure him? I only saw that they were talking about it (along with Ben and Colon etc). I had yet to see that they did it (unlike Ben and Colon). I can't find the report or details, but yeah if they did restructure then they could have pushed more into the future and limited the savings they could have had in 2013 by releasing him.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland