Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    11,924
    Blog Entries
    7

    Any Interest in Ben Ijalana?



    Ijalana the G/T from Villanova was heavily linked to the Ravens as their round 2 pick a year ago. The Colts ended up taking him instead and ever since he's been hurt. Ijalana just suffered his second season ending injury. The Colts are trying to stash him on IR but because they wanted to sign an Arena League player now they had to cut him to waive him. A lot of people liked this guy as a prospect. Would you claim him knowing that he would be on IR this year and that he now has a bad injury history? The contract by the way is small at just $560,000 this season. What should the Ravens do?
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,270
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Any Interest in Ben Ijalana?

    I would.

    It solves a potential problem next year if they do in fact move Oher back over to LT. Ijalana can play RT or LG, which would put KO out on the right side.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    11,924
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Any Interest in Ben Ijalana?

    They should really think hard about this one. He was considered to be a very good prospect. He was super athletic in college and would really fit in to a zone scheme. If you are go to replace McKinnie, Birk and Williams next year it wouldn't hurt to have as many good options as possible. The risk is that he'll never overcome his injuries and you blow $560,000. That's not much of a risk.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  4. #4

    Re: Any Interest in Ben Ijalana?

    Yes.

    I would definitely take a flyer on him.




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,296
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Any Interest in Ben Ijalana?

    My interest lies in the fact that every other letter in his name is a vowel :
    bEn IjAlAnA. Now that is a unique talent indeed... Bc




  6. #6

    Re: Any Interest in Ben Ijalana?

    Was a big fan of his coming out of the draft, i'd take a flier on him as well




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,270
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Any Interest in Ben Ijalana?

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    They should really think hard about this one. He was considered to be a very good prospect. He was super athletic in college and would really fit in to a zone scheme. If you are go to replace McKinnie, Birk and Williams next year it wouldn't hurt to have as many good options as possible. The risk is that he'll never overcome his injuries and you blow $560,000. That's not much of a risk.
    Agreed.

    It is a cheap investment for someone that has the upside and potential (and youth) to turn into a very good offensive lineman. If Jah isn't taking that next step forward and they still think they may have some issues next year at RT, LT, and LG then absolutely. Sign him, let him heal and rehab and then let him go into the off-season working with the offense and strength/conditioning coaches here.

    Like I said, it's not an uncommon thought that Oher could very well be back over at LT next year and even if he isn't and they want to move KO over there or something, Ijalana provides excellent depth with starting ability.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  8. #8

    Re: Any Interest in Ben Ijalana?

    so if i understand this right, we sign him injured and he gets IRd on our team for next year? Seems like a low risk high reward move which would be right up our alley, im just not sure of the logistics of it.
    -JAB




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,270
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Any Interest in Ben Ijalana?

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    so if i understand this right, we sign him injured and he gets IRd on our team for next year? Seems like a low risk high reward move which would be right up our alley, im just not sure of the logistics of it.
    Pretty much it.

    He's injured and would be IR'ed for sure, but the Ravens sign him and pick up the $560K tab this year to ensure he's in a Ravens uniform next year. The guy is only 22 years old.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  10. #10

    Re: Any Interest in Ben Ijalana?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Pretty much it.

    He's injured and would be IR'ed for sure, but the Ravens sign him and pick up the $560K tab this year to ensure he's in a Ravens uniform next year. The guy is only 22 years old.
    so he has to clear waivers or we put in a waiver to do so though correct. its not an injury settlement its an outright release?
    -JAB




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,270
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Any Interest in Ben Ijalana?

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    so he has to clear waivers or we put in a waiver to do so though correct. its not an injury settlement its an outright release?
    I don't think he's going through the waiver process because they cut him to sign someone else.

    I could be wrong on that though.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  12. #12

    Re: Any Interest in Ben Ijalana?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't think he's going through the waiver process because they cut him to sign someone else.

    I could be wrong on that though.
    either way i guess it would be worth it. Its insured and if he comes back healthy next year its too much potential. Id assume his contract isnt ridiculous but maybe if he has to clear waivers he does and signs an even friendlier deal. not sure of the market for a guy youre not going to play this year.
    -JAB




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland