Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 68
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,054
    Blog Entries
    4

    Three players who impressed, three who didn't.



    It's only pre season guys, and while there were some worrying things about the first quarter, there are still some positive things to take away. So here are three players who IMO looked good, and who looked bad. I could be way off here, so put down who you were impressed with and not so impressed with too.

    Players who stood out:

    Paul Kruger
    Kruger looked like a menace out there whenever he was on the field. He was constantly brining pressure, and just looked massive and packed out with muscle. Nobody had an answer for him, and he was forcing Matt Ryan out of the pocket every time he bought pressure. Kruger lined up both as a DE, 3-4 OLB, and a 4-3 OLB too, he did everything. It is truly a real shame as already pointed out by this website, that Suggs and Kruger will not be paired up as starting players this year. Still lets see what Upshaw can do when he starts.

    Kelechi Osemele
    For all the stick the offensive line got, KO looked like a stone wall at times. This kid really has a future, he looked great at right tackle, and I'd like to see him at guard at some point too. Most of the offensive line short comings appeared to be on the interior line last night, and for once it was the tackles who looked solid.

    Terrence Cody
    Terrence was all over the place, he looked like an immovable object. The tipped pass was shades of Alabama where he blocked those two kicks. He is in great shape, and I actually think he is going to have his best season this year.

    Players who need to improve:

    Anthony Allen
    I mean he has been the biggest disappointment to me so far in camp. I had high expectations for Allen this year, even when we drafted Pierce. While the offensive line where not creating many holes, you still kind of expect a back of Allens supposed size (230 lbs) to pile through defenders, but he was getting stopped short every time. Whenever Berry came on the field, he looked like more of an effective short yard back, Berry looks to be in fantastic shape. I don't even have to mention Allen shying away from that tackle either, just awful. He is going to have to up his game to make this roster.

    Cary Williams
    Cary was just plain bad last night, he was constantly being targeted by Matt Ryan. There was nothing too bad about his coverage skills, it was more his ball skills, he was completely unable to tap the ball away in the air, and just let Julio Jones out jump him every time. Don't forget that Cary is like 6'1, so it's not like you expect him to be out muscled. The sooner Jimmy comes back, the better IMO.

    Curtis Painter
    He made some good throws, but it was against a fourth string defense. There really is no wonder that he still hasn't won an NFL game as a starter, he just flat out cannot play. He seems like a good guy, so I don't want to be too harsh on him, but damn.

    Special mentions to:
    Asa Jackson
    Albert McClellin
    Bobby Rainy
    Damien Berry
    Jacoby Jones (made some nice grabs, and got deep on one ball which was sadly over thrown by Flacco)
    Tyrod Taylor
    Deonte Thompson
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 08-10-2012 at 03:27 AM.




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,463
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Three players who impressed, three who didn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Curtis Painter
    He made some good throws, but it was against a fourth string defense. There really is no wonder that he still hasn't won an NFL game as a starter, he just flat out cannot play. He seems like a good guy, so I don't want to be too harsh on him, but damn.
    Not sure how throwing 3 td's is a bad day. Yeah he was playing against 3rd stringers, but he's a 3rd string qb himself.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central Baltimore
    Posts
    1,523
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Three players who impressed, three who didn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Special mentions to:
    Asa Jackson
    Albert McClellin
    Bobby Rainy
    Damien Berry
    Jacoby Jones (made some nice grabs, and got deep on one ball which was sadly over thrown by Flacco)
    Tyrod Taylor
    Deonte Thompson
    Are these negative or positive stand outs? Because I thought Tyrod Taylor looked pretty blah.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.




  4. #4

    Re: Three players who impressed, three who didn't.

    H
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    It's only pre season guys, and while there were some worrying things about the first quarter, there are still some positive things to take away. So here are three players who IMO looked good, and who looked bad. I could be way off here, so put down who you were impressed with and not so impressed with too.

    Players who stood out:

    Paul Kruger
    Kruger looked like a menace out there whenever he was on the field. He was constantly brining pressure, and just looked massive and packed out with muscle. Nobody had an answer for him, and he was forcing Matt Ryan out of the pocket every time he bought pressure. Kruger lined up both as a DE, 3-4 OLB, and a 4-3 OLB too, he did everything. It is truly a real shame as already pointed out by this website, that Suggs and Kruger will not be paired up as starting players this year. Still lets see what Upshaw can do when he starts.

    Kelechi Osemele
    For all the stick the offensive line got, KO looked like a stone wall at times. This kid really has a future, he looked great at right tackle, and I'd like to see him at guard at some point too. Most of the offensive line short comings appeared to be on the interior line last night, and for once it was the tackles who looked solid.

    Terrence Cody
    Terrence was all over the place, he looked like an immovable object. The tipped pass was shades of Alabama where he blocked those two kicks. He is in great shape, and I actually think he is going to have his best season this year.

    Players who need to improve:

    Anthony Allen
    I mean he has been the biggest disappointment to me so far in camp. I had high expectations for Allen this year, even when we drafted Pierce. While the offensive line where not creating many holes, you still kind of expect a back of Allens supposed size (230 lbs) to pile through defenders, but he was getting stopped short every time. Whenever Berry came on the field, he looked like more of an effective short yard back, Berry looks to be in fantastic shape. I don't even have to mention Allen shying away from that tackle either, just awful. He is going to have to up his game to make this roster.

    Cary Williams
    Cary was just plain bad last night, he was constantly being targeted by Matt Ryan. There was nothing too bad about his coverage skills, it was more his ball skills, he was completely unable to tap the ball away in the air, and just let Julio Jones out jump him every time. Don't forget that Cary is like 6'1, so it's not like you expect him to be out muscled. The sooner Jimmy comes back, the better IMO.

    Curtis Painter
    He made some good throws, but it was against a fourth string defense. There really is no wonder that he still hasn't won an NFL game as a starter, he just flat out cannot play. He seems like a good guy, so I don't want to be too harsh on him, but damn.

    Special mentions to:
    Asa Jackson
    Albert McClellin
    Bobby Rainy
    Damien Berry
    Jacoby Jones (made some nice grabs, and got deep on one ball which was sadly over thrown by Flacco)
    Tyrod Taylor
    Deonte Thompson
    Did not watch the game but based on the game thread I am surprised you have Kruger on there. From the game thread it sounded like they could not get pressure and Ryan had all the time in the world.




  5. #5

    Re: Three players who impressed, three who didn't.

    The Good:

    I think Asa Jackson played very well on defense and STs. at least until he got that hammy. You can see hes full of potential. Seemed like hes ahead of Gorrer even in the coaches eyes, as i believe he played before him? The announcers kept saying he wasnt making plays just being in position to make plays and that was a bad thing. I like the odds of a guy thats in position to make plays consisitently rather than one that isnt, simply because of the law of averages. more hes there the more likely hell eventually make those plays.

    Deonte Thompson really showed up in the game. Whoever they had guarding him in the 3rd couldnt do it. granted that wasnt a starter or likely even main backup but he clearly was a cut above. Streeter i didnt think looked bad but Thompson was certainly standing out. couple tough grabs in traffic too. Laquan Williams may just be able to win that 3rd job. I missed 10 mins in the first, so im not sure what Jones did, but williams looked pretty solid the entire time i did see.
    also props to Torrey, he really did improve at catching away from his body. i saw at least 2 nice grabs that he had to stretch outward for that i dont think he would have made even at the end of last year. truly progressing to be a #1 this year.

    Berry/Rainey both looked awfully good. its almost a shame that one likely doesnt make this team as i think if both continue what they did last night, both are deserving. Having invested a third in Pierce theres noway they dont carry him leaving 1 spot unless we somehow manage to carry 4. Both returned kicks, which i was happy to see and that both did it well. May be the only way carry them both. Rainey really is a perfect insurance policy for Rice, hes almost a clone, minus the experience of course. Berry runs with purpose, but still has some agility to him and speed. Hes everything that AA isnt. Seemed to pick up blitzes better and caught passes well out of the backfield, to me hes the #2 right now. Hopefully the cramps werent major as thats when i stopped watching.

    The Bad:

    Our OL played pretty poorly as a whole. They were awful at times. The Tackles played better, but the interior, and i believe it was mostly gradkowski were just allowing everything to go right through. it really was like nobody was even there a few times. some was miscommunication id assume some was just flat out getting beat. it wasnt pretty.

    Anthony Allen, did not look like a professional football player. He looked like he should have been out in garbage time in the 4th not our 2nd RB. Even though i criticized the line above, the line that paved for Allen actually wasnt nearly as bad. He had holes and missed them, didnt break tackles, and alligator armed passes as well as completely missed blocking assignments (the reason hell be cut). Overall, he was afraid of contact. not something you want from your bruiser back.

    Painter is not making this team.

    The Ugly:

    Officiating, its always a hot topic but the inability to even be decisive was really concerning. Bad calls will be made, you just want them to be consistent for both sides. I think there was a lot that went uncalled for both teams last night. these replacement refs are going to make games a lot more interesting, imo.
    -JAB




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    12,849
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Three players who impressed, three who didn't.

    Kruger may not have gotten a lot of pressure, but he was getting a lot of praise for setting the edge in the run game. He's going to get some extra attention in the pass rush game until someone else steps up to fill in the role Kruger had. Going to have to figure out how to shake double teams.

    The guys who really improved their stock to me last night:
    Painter, Rainey, Jacoby, Deonte Thompson, KO, McClellan, BA, Omar, Corey Graham

    I didn't watch the game, so I can't comment on anyone who struggled individually, but certainly the OL struggled early and the secondary really got lit up by Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. Tyrod didn't look terrible, but from what I hear, he's trusting his feet too much and not trying to step up in the pocket and make throws. If he wants to take the next step as a QB, he needs to be looking for ways to make the throws, either by stepping up in the pocket or looking downfield while scrambling.

    Anthony Allen, based on his camp so far, may be in danger of losing his spot. Unless he puts it together in these last few games, I'd stick with Rice, Pierce, Berry, and Rainey as my top 4.

    I hope Kris Wilson's phone is ringing today. We're going to need some TE help.
    .
    .
    FOR REED, BIRK, BOLDIN, RAY, ART, TEVIN, OJ, and BALTIMORE...
    SUPER BOWL 47 CHAMPION RAVENS!!!!!!

    "We don't make it easy, but that's the way the city of Baltimore is, and that's the way we are. We did this for them back home." - Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  7. #7

    Re: Three players who impressed, three who didn't.

    I thought Ray Rice looked good holding that M & T flag, do you think he has his new money with them. Omar Brown had a nose for the ball last nite. Dorian Graham needs to go. Offensive line needs to protect Joe better and the injuries continue to sideline the better players. Flacco always seems to start bad at Atlanta and then get comfortable..
    The Falcons played well with their 1st string, but its preseason and showing your hand could be bad for them. Ed Reed should have been more involved and looked like he was holding back in coverage. Thats what smart players do to stay healthy for the real games that count. Ryan will do well in the dome, outside, not to good.




  8. #8

    Re: Three players who impressed, three who didn't.

    i think theres a tale of two Painters. 3rd qt against 3rd/4th defense i think he looked awful. he did make a few throws here and there, but for the most part it wasnt pretty. once the fringe players came in he apparently made some nice plays and padded his stats.
    -JAB




  9. #9

    Re: Three players who impressed, three who didn't.

    A lot of really good new faces played with some fire too.
    We killed a good team on the road in pre-season OK it was backups, but so what? Team. We clearly have more depth than ever at WR, and I saw some new RBs too.....also ST.
    Way Down South in New Orleans




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    2,170

    Re: Three players who impressed, three who didn't.

    I think Anthony Allen can kiss a spot on the 53 good bye. It looks to be mental with him and he is shying away from contact (missed block and short armed a possible catch). He even started to put his head down after blunders and on the Ravens, that's never a good thing.

    I like seeing Deonte Thompson just eat up the turf, it wouldn't have mattered if they were 1st, 2nd, or 3rd string, you can't teach that kind of speed.

    Streeter showed really good hands in the limited passes his way. He's huge.

    Tyrod missed some easy throws as he looked to try and force the ball to Laquan Williams a couple of times. There were some playes were he missed wide open WRs coming out of other patterns. I saw Harbs get on him about that. He is also too quick to run.

    I liked seeing Curtis Painters grasp of the offense. I'm sorry even though it was against 3rd strings, he was pointing out line assignments left and right. I chalk that up to probably his time with Manning. This isn't that same offense as the Colts, but it appears that he is comfortable already in the new offense and makes good decisions. This gave him time for three TD passes and three TDs are still three TDs.

    Rainey and Berry look to be the front runners for that #2 spot barring a veteran signing (most likely a signing is coming). Rainey, even though he is short like Ray Rice, he looks a little more solid. This is my first time seeing him and I feel that he could win some short yardage situations for us the way he was driving piles a couple times.

    Omar Brown is it? He was everywhere. I want to see another game with that type of play, but heck what a way to make a name.

    I saw McBean's leg injury, he may be IR'd.




  11. #11

    Re: Three players who impressed, three who didn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I saw McBean's leg injury, he may be IR'd.
    I havent heard yet but i think the only way he gets IR'd is if ligaments tore as well. they took him for xrays and im pretty sure it was just broken. if its 8 weeks recovery, thatll be right when his suspension is up.
    -JAB




  12. #12

    Re: Three players who impressed, three who didn't.

    I want to see Painter a little sooner next game.......he looked mentally sharp out there.
    Way Down South in New Orleans




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland