Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 72 of 82
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,588

    Re: Paul Ryan VP announcement imminent



    Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    You know, I am really curious as to what you guys actually like about Paul Ryan's budget proposal. Let me list all the things I DISLIKE about it:

    Military spending is completely untouched. This is a huge portion of our spending (pretty disproportionate), and the Ryan budget would leave this completely untouched. Adjusted for inflation, we're spending more than what we were spending when we were dealing with a Soviet Nuclear threat. Great logic there.
    And here is where I stopped reading.

    The last true budget was in 2010, thanks to all the extensions.

    Spending on defense was at $663.7 billion.

    Social programs eclipsed that. Money spent on Social Security $695 billion, unemployment and welfare was $571 billion, medicare was $453 billion and medicaid was $290 billion. That's a total of just over $2 Trillion on social programs.

    That means military spending is just over a quarter of what's spent on social programs. If you want to cut spending, you start with entitlements and Ryan's plan reforms much of that spending.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #62

    Re: Paul Ryan VP announcement imminent

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And here is where I stopped reading.

    The last true budget was in 2010, thanks to all the extensions.

    Spending on defense was at $663.7 billion.

    Social programs eclipsed that. Money spent on Social Security $695 billion, unemployment and welfare was $571 billion, medicare was $453 billion and medicaid was $290 billion. That's a total of just over $2 Trillion on social programs.

    That means military spending is just over a quarter of what's spent on social programs. If you want to cut spending, you start with entitlements and Ryan's plan reforms much of that spending.
    No, if you want to cut spending, you cut EVERYTHING across the board. We're spending too much on defense. If you want to cut spending, you don't say:

    "We're spending too much on defense, but there's other places to cut, so let's just cut those".

    Everyone has to make sacrifices. Paul Ryan's budget plan would bring people like Mitt Romney's tax liability to almost nothing, while making the rest of us mere mortals pay MORE. How is that logical?

    I'll be the first to agree that we need to cut entitlement spending. But there are plenty of OTHER places to cut spending that aren't being looked at.




  3. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,588

    Re: Paul Ryan VP announcement imminent

    Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    No, if you want to cut spending, you cut EVERYTHING across the board. We're spending too much on defense. If you want to cut spending, you don't say:

    "We're spending too much on defense, but there's other places to cut, so let's just cut those".

    Everyone has to make sacrifices. Paul Ryan's budget plan would bring people like Mitt Romney's tax liability to almost nothing, while making the rest of us mere mortals pay MORE. How is that logical?

    I'll be the first to agree that we need to cut entitlement spending. But there are plenty of OTHER places to cut spending that aren't being looked at.
    Ok, now since you've moved the goal posts, what's your point?

    You're critical of Ryan's plan because it doesn't cut in areas you feel should get some? Because that's not what you first said. And how about the man who could have actually done something about it these past four years? You're really telling me you're worried about Ryan's cuts over the spending done by Obama already?

    Your first post mentioned logic. I don't see yours.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  4. #64

    Re: Paul Ryan VP announcement imminent

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Ok, now since you've moved the goal posts, what's your point?

    You're critical of Ryan's plan because it doesn't cut in areas you feel should get some? Because that's not what you first said. And how about the man who could have actually done something about it these past four years? You're really telling me you're worried about Ryan's cuts over the spending done by Obama already?

    Your first post mentioned logic. I don't see yours.
    I never said Obama's budget was fantastic. In fact, I quite clearly stated that I'm completely disillusioned with both parties. I'm critical of Ryan's plan because it disproportionately benefits the wealthy while shafting the middle and lower class. I just don't understand how anyone can sit there and say with a straight face that the Ryan Budget is the fix all, end all, be all plan, when there's plenty of problems with it. Instead, its being touted as this magic cure-all which is far from the truth.

    Also, its interesting to note that spending by Obama has increased at a rate lower than seen in the past 60 years.




  5. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,588

    Re: Paul Ryan VP announcement imminent

    Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    I never said Obama's budget was fantastic. In fact, I quite clearly stated that I'm completely disillusioned with both parties. I'm critical of Ryan's plan because it disproportionately benefits the wealthy while shafting the middle and lower class. I just don't understand how anyone can sit there and say with a straight face that the Ryan Budget is the fix all, end all, be all plan, when there's plenty of problems with it. Instead, its being touted as this magic cure-all which is far from the truth.
    Well, you definitely have the class warfare talking points down.

    You do know it's a bipartisan plan, right?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  6. #66

    Re: Paul Ryan VP announcement imminent

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Well, you definitely have the class warfare talking points down.

    You do know it's a bipartisan plan, right?
    How is stating the facts class warfare exactly? It's interesting how you jump straight to that. Also, did you miss the part where I dislike BOTH PARTIES? Hold on, let me put that in bold and italics or something.

    I HATE BOTH OUR POLITICAL PARTIES




  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,588

    Re: Paul Ryan VP announcement imminent

    Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    How is stating the facts class warfare exactly?
    "I'm critical of Ryan's plan because it disproportionately benefits the wealthy while shafting the middle and lower class."

    That's how.

    Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    It's interesting how you jump straight to that. Also, did you miss the part where I dislike BOTH PARTIES? Hold on, let me put that in bold and italics or something.

    I HATE BOTH OUR POLITICAL PARTIES
    For someone who hates both parties, you're certainly mum about the one on the left.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  8. #68

    Re: Paul Ryan VP announcement imminent

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    "I'm critical of Ryan's plan because it disproportionately benefits the wealthy while shafting the middle and lower class."

    That's how.



    For someone who hates both parties, you're certainly mum about the one on the left.
    That's a fact, not class warfare. The Ryan plan is a huge break for wealthy people who pay less taxes, and sucks for lower/middle class people who pay more taxes. Just because you cry class warfare, doesn't invalidate the facts.

    The left has done plenty to annoy me. Obama has done more in the past 4 years to destroy the right to protest and make yourself heard than probably every president before him combined. Whistleblowers enjoy the lowest level of protection ever.

    The Left sat around and tried to shove SOPA down our throats. Also a point of great disgust.

    The economic situation is terrible, but I'm hesitant to blame any particular party for this one. After all, Bush left the country in shambles. Obama hasn't done much useful either. But it hasn't helped that Congress has actively blocked everything he tried to do.

    Theres plenty wrong with everyone in our political system. But since economy and spending is essentially a wasted point, I can just fall back to my next criteria for voting which is social issues, and man do I hate the Republican stance on social issues.




  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,588

    Re: Paul Ryan VP announcement imminent

    Still waiting on those "facts".

    I've read the CBO Analysis and I don't see anything close to what you claim.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,195

    Re: Paul Ryan VP announcement imminent

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    "I'm critical of Ryan's plan because it disproportionately benefits the wealthy while shafting the middle and lower class."

    That's how.



    For someone who hates both parties, you're certainly mum about the one on the left.
    Winner winner, Chicken Dinner!!!!

    And that's how you know you're fighting a sock puppet...
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  11. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,195

    Re: Paul Ryan VP announcement imminent

    Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    The economic situation is terrible, but I'm hesitant to blame any particular party for this one. After all, Bush left the country in shambles. Obama hasn't done much useful either. But it hasn't helped that Congress has actively blocked everything he tried to do.
    So you don't want to blame either party, but you'll blame Bush but not Obama?

    And you blame the Republican Congress (or House since that's whose blocking him) but won't blame the Democratic congress(both House and Senate) from 2008 - 2010 who gave him everything he wanted?

    Interesting.. and telling...
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  12. #72

    Re: Paul Ryan VP announcement imminent

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Still waiting on those "facts".

    I've read the CBO Analysis and I don't see anything close to what you claim.
    It's on the last page in the side notes.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland