Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 85
  1. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    2,356

    Re: Williams turns down contract



    Doesn't surprise me knowing where he came from and what the free agent market is giving away these days. Here's the plus for the Ravens, he will play his tail off this year in essentially a contract year and if he doesn't, this will backfire.




  2. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    26,370
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Doesn't surprise me knowing where he came from and what the free agent market is giving away these days. Here's the plus for the Ravens, he will play his tail off this year in essentially a contract year and if he doesn't, this will backfire.
    That's a good point.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #27
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    4,458
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Not to get into a conversation about Smith in a thread about Cary, but I'm just going by what I've seen and with other stuff I've been reading, makes me say he's been unimpressive. Not really tryin to knock him, just going by what I've seen/read. He's a former first round pick, covering a guy like Johnson is not easy for any player but he should be able to do better than he did. I read that the same result occured on the same play at the Stevenson practice...this time agains Patrick Williams, certainly not in the conversation for best receiver in football.
    While I have high hopes for Jimmy, I do agree. From what he's shown in games, I don't really see what the hype is about. I haven't watched any practices so, there could be something else that I haven't seen.




  4. #28

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    CB is a premium position and even marginal CBs get paid handsomely in free agency.

    Last year - minus the INTs - Williams was as good as Starks and Baxter were in their walk years and they ended up getting top of the market CB deals. If Williams plays well again, he'll get far more than 3/$15M.

    This offer was made back in the spring, when they were trying to get both Webb and Williams signed. It was a nice offer from the Ravens (though, I would guess it was a bit light on the guaranteed money) and sometimes a player will jump at it, but it doesn't surprise me that he turned it down.

    Hopefully, he can live up to his expectations and play well this year.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  5. #29

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    While I have high hopes for Jimmy, I do agree. From what he's shown in games, I don't really see what the hype is about. I haven't watched any practices so, there could be something else that I haven't seen.
    He has played well just needs to work on locating the ball which can easily be tought and worked on.

    I think Cary is still getting rust off for missing the whole off season. A full camp and film of seeing he was there on every play should do the job.




  6. #30

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    He had a Foxworth moment and thought he was better than he really was.
    I don't get this comment at all. Can you elaborate?

    Foxworth never held out for money. Foxworth never, to my knowledge, showed the least bit of cockiness or thinking that he was better than he was. His only "mistake" was agreeing to take a bloated contract from his hometown team. Sorta hard to fault him for that, isn't it? This was a colossal mistake of salary valuation on the part of the Ravens, not really anything you can pin on Foxworth. The Ravens paid him as if he was a solid #1 starter in the NFL when he hadn't been anything other than a nickleback over his first 3-4 years. Foxworth clearly wasn't a #1 CB, but he showed he could be a decent starter and played well for most of 2009, particularly down the stretch.

    I get that Foxworth was a bust and some fans aren't in love with him because of it. However, we need to look in the mirror when casting blame. Had we given Foxworth the $4-5 million/year that he deserved, instead of $7 million, his performance and his injury history wouldn't have stung as much. What was he supposed to do....not take the crazy money the Ravens gave him? Foxworth was a bust, but worked hard, carried himself well, and played decently when healthy. Don't equate Williams stupidity in turning down a nice contract to what happened with Foxworth. They are in no way related.




  7. #31

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    In my opinion, the risk/reward factor makes this a poor gamble for Cary. Let's just assume that $10 million of the $15 million was guaranteed. If he plays well, he's probably not going to get more than $18-$20 guaranteed in free agency this upcoming offseason. Ignore the total value of the contract since nobody ever reaches the max amount.

    In my opinion, the risk factor that Williams sucks or gets injured and is out of football within two years is much higher than him hitting a big haul this offseason. Given the volatility of the sport and the age deterioration of his position, it was a gamble I wouldn't have taken if I was in his shoes. Williams forgets where he came from. Two years ago, he was battling just to make an NFL roster. 2.7 years ago, he was being released by the Titans, one of the worst teams in the NFL in 2009. He would have killed for the opportunity to be offered a $15 million contract back then. He would have killed for that type of contract even entering last year. Now, just because he happened to start all 18 games last year for us, thanks mainly to an injury to Jimmy Smith, he suddenly views himself as a top-tier free agent. He played reasonably well, mind you, but this is not a shutdown cornerback. This is a guy who was probably the 11th best defensive starter on a top 5 defense. That indicates his success was a byproduct of the atmosphere and not any elevated level of play on his end. For his sake, hope the conditions remain the same for him in 2012, because if the reduced pass rush we are seeing so far continues, it could be a long year for Cary and he could be looking at half of that $15 million in 2013 free agency.




  8. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    2,269
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I don't get this comment at all. Can you elaborate?

    Foxworth never held out for money. Foxworth never, to my knowledge, showed the least bit of cockiness or thinking that he was better than he was. His only "mistake" was agreeing to take a bloated contract from his hometown team. Sorta hard to fault him for that, isn't it? This was a colossal mistake of salary valuation on the part of the Ravens, not really anything you can pin on Foxworth. The Ravens paid him as if he was a solid #1 starter in the NFL when he hadn't been anything other than a nickleback over his first 3-4 years. Foxworth clearly wasn't a #1 CB, but he showed he could be a decent starter and played well for most of 2009, particularly down the stretch.

    I get that Foxworth was a bust and some fans aren't in love with him because of it. However, we need to look in the mirror when casting blame. Had we given Foxworth the $4-5 million/year that he deserved, instead of $7 million, his performance and his injury history wouldn't have stung as much. What was he supposed to do....not take the crazy money the Ravens gave him? Foxworth was a bust, but worked hard, carried himself well, and played decently when healthy. Don't equate Williams stupidity in turning down a nice contract to what happened with Foxworth. They are in no way related.
    You're right, I guess I kind of used the wrong words, however just because he didn't display anything didn't mean he wasn't confident that he was worth that much. I used him because of the small similarities. He wasn't good in Denver, was traded for a conditional seventh-round pick to the Falcons and had an OK year, I'm not sure if the Falcons offered him a contract, but I'm sure his head got a little big when the Ravens offered him that generous contract. That's all I'm saying with Cary, he had a good season last year, and he's probably a little more confident in himself, we (and him) can only just hope he repeats his performance last year.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"




  9. #33

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Idiot move. If he wanted to be the 'MAN' what better place to showcase it than here? Get paid, play hard, and if we are too deep at corner, we trade him or someone else. The idea that he might not get hurt or not play that well over the next year is real. Why not take the money now?

    It is a real gamble when you consider he just came off of surgery and has looked like hell lately. It will be interesting to see how this pans out for him.




  10. #34

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Lol it was a classic shrewd offer by the Ravens hoping a former 7TH rounder who has made very little in his NFL career would bite.

    I am sure his agent had a nice chuckle when that fax came through.

    Cary would have to completely implode for that type of money next year.

    If he has even an average season he will get double that. A good season? Go look at what starting corners with good size are getting on the FA market.

    Nice try by the Ravens, though.




  11. #35

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Cary will get $6mill easy on the open market.
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.




  12. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,546
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Lol it was a classic shrewd offer by the Ravens hoping a former 7TH rounder who has made very little in his NFL career would bite.

    I am sure his agent had a nice chuckle when that fax came through.

    Cary would have to completely implode for that type of money next year.

    If he has even an average season he will get double that. A good season? Go look at what starting corners with good size are getting on the FA market.

    Nice try by the Ravens, though.
    While you may be right, did anyone mention ZERO career interceptions? Oh yeah, I did on a previous post. IMO he's playing a dangerous game with his career... Bc




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland