Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 85 to 96 of 157
  1. #85
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    section 132
    Posts
    2,644
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is there any possibility that Jacoby Jones is not the third WR come week 1?



    Also....to you guys on the Asa, Rainey, Thompson, etc for returner bandwagon;

    Remember that LQ had a few very nice returns in preseason last year too. When the rookie (LQ) got his chance against the Jets, he put one on the ground and bobbled another. Be careful what you wish for.





  2. #86

    Re: Is there any possibility that Jacoby Jones is not the third WR come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Lewis and Reed vouched for McKinnie. We saw how that worked out too.
    That was Ray and Ed vouched for McKinnie, but McKinnie wasn't the reason Lee Evans dropped the ball, or our center couldn't handle Willfork, or Ngata ran out of gas.
    Way Down South in New Orleans




  3. #87
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    8,838
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is there any possibility that Jacoby Jones is not the third WR come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Also....to you guys on the Asa, Rainey, Thompson, etc for returner bandwagon;

    Remember that LQ had a few very nice returns in preseason last year too. When the rookie (LQ) got his chance against the Jets, he put one on the ground and bobbled another. Be careful what you wish for.
    LQW didn't look anywhere near as explosive returning punts last pre season as Asa did against the Lions.




  4. #88
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Deep in the bowels of Maryland suburbia
    Posts
    1,603

    Re: Is there any possibility that Jacoby Jones is not the third WR come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    So far, he's done what he needs to do to hold onto that 3rd WR spot.
    Unfortunately, what he needs to hold onto is the damned football.




  5. #89

    Re: Is there any possibility that Jacoby Jones is not the third WR come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Not that I disagree with you, but Houston was sad to see Pollard leave too. The Houston fans that I sat beside in the playoff game just kept talking about how badly they wished that the Texans had done something about keeping Pollard and how great of a player we got.

    You aren't hearing those things about Jacoby Jones.

    Again, I love the size/speed combo that he brings to the table, but he is just so damn inconsistent.
    There's just as much if not more out there where people were constantly complaining about how big of a liability he is in coverage.

    And there were threads/posts here where many were questioning the move.

    You should say "some" in Houston were sad to see him leave.



    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The big difference is that Torrey was a rookie with a tremendous amount of upside and Jacoby Jones is a known commodity. Everyone was pulling their hair out when Flacco would go to Torrey because he could just as easily bricked a lot of those passes, but he was also learning on the fly how to be a receiver in the NFL and now he looks infinitely more polished as a route runner and receiver. Jacoby has never had that season where you could see him putting it all together as the season went on. He's just never been that kind of receiver and it's highly likely that he never will.
    I'm not comparing Jacoby to Torrey.

    I brought up Torrey in response to the ridiculous notions that the team only played him because they were forced to...and insinuating that no matter how bad Evans was, Torrey would barely see the field.




  6. #90

    Re: Is there any possibility that Jacoby Jones is not the third WR come week 1?

    So frustrating............
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  7. #91

    Re: Is there any possibility that Jacoby Jones is not the third WR come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    There's just as much if not more out there where people were constantly complaining about how big of a liability he is in coverage.

    And there were threads/posts here where many were questioning the move.

    You should say "some" in Houston were sad to see him leave.





    I'm not comparing Jacoby to Torrey.

    I brought up Torrey in response to the ridiculous notions that the team only played him because they were forced to...and insinuating that no matter how bad Evans was, Torrey would barely see the field.
    I can't speak for anybody else. What I am saying is that if Evans were healthy, he would have been better. I agree that if Evans completely disappointed (Healthy), they would have tried to get Torrey in there. What I am saying is that he wouldn't have completely disappointed if he were healthy.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  8. #92

    Re: Is there any possibility that Jacoby Jones is not the third WR come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If Evans was healthy like he was at the very end of the season he would have been the Ravens #2 the whole season. Michael Oher was as bad a LT as we've seen and he never lost his job. Harbaugh doesn't play that way. There is not an open competition for these starting WR spots during camp or even the season. The point is no matter what LaQuan or Doss or anyone else does they aren't beating out Jones unless he gets hurt.
    That's your opinion. From what I've seen, this staff has no problem sitting guys that aren't producing. Who should we have replaced Oher with at LT in 09-10? When someone became available that we could afford, we got him

    And frankly, if Evans was healthy (which I still think he isn't and the ankle never will completely heal), maybe he actually produces. Maybe he doesn't. But I would have liked to have seen a healthy Evans here in Baltimore as I still think the guy could play before his ankle basically completely ruined his career.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    That wasn't, because Evans was healthy and unproductive. His ankle was bothering him and the team knew it. Before he hurt his ankle, he was playing well. It was really his ankle injury that forced him out and forced Smith in.
    I'd argue that Evans was not healthy. You don't go from wearing a boot to completely healthy in less than one week. And a big warning sign is that he originally hurt that ankle late 2010...and to hurt that same ankle after playing one game (with no team supervised rehab all offseason) tells me that it never healed properly.

    I think the team thought he'd be able to push through it and produce...they saw that he was still hurt and couldn't contribute and they made a switch. I hardly think they would put up with what Evans was giving them whether he was hurt or not.




  9. #93

    Re: Is there any possibility that Jacoby Jones is not the third WR come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I can't speak for anybody else. What I am saying is that if Evans were healthy, he would have been better. I agree that if Evans completely disappointed (Healthy), they would have tried to get Torrey in there. What I am saying is that he wouldn't have completely disappointed if he were healthy.
    So we agree




  10. #94

    Re: Is there any possibility that Jacoby Jones is not the third WR come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Unfortunately, what he needs to hold onto is the damned football.
    Well, based on most every TC report, he pretty much has, overall, done so.

    Whether he continues that remains to be seen, but so far, he's done well.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  11. #95

    Re: Is there any possibility that Jacoby Jones is not the third WR come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    That's your opinion. From what I've seen, this staff has no problem sitting guys that aren't producing. Who should we have replaced Oher with at LT in 09-10? When someone became available that we could afford, we got him

    And frankly, if Evans was healthy (which I still think he isn't and the ankle never will completely heal), maybe he actually produces. Maybe he doesn't. But I would have liked to have seen a healthy Evans here in Baltimore as I still think the guy could play before his ankle basically completely ruined his career.



    I'd argue that Evans was not healthy. You don't go from wearing a boot to completely healthy in less than one week. And a big warning sign is that he originally hurt that ankle late 2010...and to hurt that same ankle after playing one game (with no team supervised rehab all offseason) tells me that it never healed properly.

    I think the team thought he'd be able to push through it and produce...they saw that he was still hurt and couldn't contribute and they made a switch. I hardly think they would put up with what Evans was giving them whether he was hurt or not.
    I understand that. I'm saying that Evans would have produced better if healthy and, with that in mind, I would not have expected Torrey to see much of the field. Consequently, he would not look like the WR that he currently looks like. I mean, he looks good right now. We've seen WRs play well in practice such as Justin Harper and Demetrius Williams. However, they really did not produce well in games. We've seen players perform well in the preseason, only to find it hard to get up the depth chart (Cary Williams 2010), only to become a starter with a new coordinator the following year, where he repeats his preseason/training camp performance. We've seen a guy who might not have looked great in practice/preseason (Torrey Smith) score three TDs in the first quarter of his first start. Rams or no Rams, that is ridiculous. We've seen players get limited snaps (Lardarius Webb 2009), yet have to wait several games to start, even though they've clearly played like an upgrade over another player (Fabian Washington), even having to wait until that player got hurt.

    There just isn't a sense of consistency with how the Ravens coaching staff has dealt with personnel decisions and I think that lack of consistency has left them open to criticism when the results do not match the decisions.

    I also feel that there is nothing like live, in-game experience, for a player, although I will admit that not every player will respond the same way.

    The Ravens don't operate much differently than most winning teams. However, there is an issue that is going on with them right now. They have been afraid to go through the rigors of developing a legitimate passing offense and lethal QB, because of the ebbs and flows that come with that. Since they have the talent to win now, they've decided to bypass that, in favor of a run-first offense. However, that method has caught up to them in the playoffs when they are forced to throw the ball.

    I have more of an understanding for the veteran issue. The reason it is an issue however, is, because it's been some of these veterans that have let them down in the playoffs as well. That has probably clouded the judgment of fans as well.

    EDIT: Just saw your latest post. Please disregard the first few sentences. My bad.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 08-21-2012 at 02:31 PM.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  12. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    3,074

    Re: Is there any possibility that Jacoby Jones is not the third WR come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I understand that. I'm saying that Evans would have produced better if healthy and, with that in mind, I would not have expected Torrey to see much of the field. Consequently, he would not look like the WR that he currently looks like. I mean, he looks good right now. We've seen WRs play well in practice such as Justin Harper and Demetrius Williams. However, they really did not produce well in games. We've seen players perform well in the preseason, only to find it hard to get up the depth chart (Cary Williams 2010), only to become a starter with a new coordinator the following year, where he repeats his preseason/training camp performance. We've seen a guy who might not have looked great in practice/preseason (Torrey Smith) score three TDs in the first quarter of his first start. Rams or no Rams, that is ridiculous. We've seen players get limited snaps (Lardarius Webb 2009), yet have to wait several games to start, even though they've clearly played like an upgrade over another player (Fabian Washington), even having to wait until that player got hurt.

    There just isn't a sense of consistency with how the Ravens coaching staff has dealt with personnel decisions and I think that lack of consistency has left them open to criticism when the results do not match the decisions..




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland