Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Reasons for concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Did they really have a choice? Where would the cap space to keep them come from?
    It's hindsight, because they had no idea Suggs would suffer the injury he did. At the time, I'm sure they figured they would be fine with Suggs on one side and guys like Kruger, McPhee, possibly Kindle, etc, on the other side. I'm not a cap expert but I would imagine they could have fit at least one of the two under the cap...but I have nothing to go on with that assumption.

Blog Entries

I don't know what games you've been watching, but McPhee has had very limited snaps, and has gotten HUGE pressure on the QB's in his limited snaps. That is also in a vanilla designed pre season defense, I don't know what else you want from a guy who is suffering from a loss in the family right now.

Our outside linebackers are huge weakness IMO. Setting the edge & rushing the passer.

The biggest I think is setting the edge. Reason being regardless if it's a pass happy league the top defenses in the league are great at stopping the run. There is a reason defensive players say that it's focus #1. You want to make teams have to beat you one way. You want to be able to at least shut down one part of the offense. In a league where the rules favor passing you aren't going to be able to shut that down and the run open up the pass even more. So when things start breaking down in the run game for the defense it just opens a lot of things up for the offense.

I think a lot of us used the next man mentality to stay positive with Suggs injury. But watching Kruger look lost out there brought me back down to reality to when I wasn't even confident Kruger could fill JJ's role effectively... now he is suppose to be our best OLB? Scary. Then there is also question marks with our # 2. Mccellan seems more like a depth guy than a starter. And Upshaw's development has been slower than predicted.

I mean even with some legitimate reasons why our defense could take a big step back.. we still have many great players that will have a say in that. I'm going to try to have no expectations. Though for me I'd be happy with a bend not break defense. Teams move down the field on us but don't score many touchdowns.
    Last edited by scbgirlxo; 08-31-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Blog Entries

I can't believe this LB has never been a problem here, now its looking pretty thin at this point. We need some help if we are to go deep into the season. I really think offense is going to carry the team this year.

I am hoping McPhee comes back this week. you think he would since he has been gone almost a week but family takes priority over football.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

alien-
    I think you've raised some good issues, as they are valid concerns, however I tend to agree with Carey and those who see the Special Teams as a major area that will be critical to how the Ravens do this season. IMHO, the STs will be the difference in how "wonderful" the offense will be this year, notwithstanding that Flacco et al will probably turn in some stats that will remind us of Vinny lighting up the skies! And they will also be a factor in minimizing the loss of Suggs if they can consistently pin opposing offenses with bad field position such that our D can tee off on them. What we can't afford are when our kick-offs only reach the 5 or 10, and the returns are out to the 35 and 40, and our punts are returned for 20+ yards.
    And not to sound too negative, but I'm having "good thoughts" about the FG game!

If the STs can address those types of things, I think the defense can shine, and the offense may surprise even the most optimistic fans.

Of course, this is all just one guy's opinion....