Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Thursday Injury Report Status: Ravens @ Texans

If he isn't active, is he allowed on the field in his full pads and uniform?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=9--jykLG3-c

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=9--jykLG3-c
    I think it has to do with the PUP designation. After 6 weeks, he can return to practice and the team has 3 weeks to activate him. At least that's the way I think it works, but Ravor knows the rule better...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    I believe he is. THis is from the Wikipedia article:
    A player ... on the regular-season PUP list ... must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a three-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional three-week window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.
    IOW the second 3-week window opened today.

The problem is terminology--the player starts participating in practices as if he were "activated," but in fact he never really "comes off" the PUP list unless he is placed on ("activated to") the 53-man roster (if no action is taken to do so he remains on the PUP list for the rest of the season). There isn't really a good turn of phrase for Suggs' status at the moment. "Practicing limbo" is the best I can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I have a better question: What the hell gave you the impression that I thought it made sense? All I did was offer a possible explanation as to why #55 didn't appear in Tony's injury report even though other accounts had him limited to tossing a football around.

As for having "only 52 players," keep in mind they can only dress 45. Probably they've already decided on the gameday actives. Who knows, they might figure that it's a better use of the slot keeping the Texans guessing about whether they'll put Suggs on the roster & activate him just before kickoff.
    Touche. The whole handling of these two free roster spots this year has been confusing to say the least.

Also, FWIW, you can dress 46 for gameday now. They changed it from 8 inactives to 7 inactives.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Also, FWIW, you can dress 46 for gameday now. They changed it from 8 inactives to 7 inactives.
    OK, 46.

Reminds me of the old joke about the famous sex researcher on a speaking tour. One night he was lecturing in a small town & began as usual with
    There are 46 positions in which a man & woman can have sexual intercourse--
    when a voice from the back of the hall shouted out,
    47!
    The speaker cleared his voice:
    As I said, there are 46 positions in which a man & woman can have sexual intercourse--
    The voice in the back:
    47!
    The researcher went on:
    The best known is the missionary position, in which the woman lies on her back & the man lies on top facing her.
    Voice in the back:
    48!
    <rimshot>