Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall, MD
    Posts
    13,534

    BATTLE PLANS: Ravens @ Texans



    Offense

    1. Double Wattage

    No 3-4 DE has been as dynamic a rusher as Houston’s J.J. Watt. What makes Watt so special is that he has the power to drive through blockers, and electric burst to get around them. Watt is so good that teams are not only devoting a double team inside, but a third blocker—either a back or tight end—to help chip block.

    The Ravens will need to take the same approach against Watt. They will need to lean on two blockers to keep Watt at bay and take their chances with Oher and Osmele blocking without help against edge rushers Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed. While Barwin and Reed are dangerous in their own right, they’ve been pretty ordinary this season. Being able to execute this blocking scheme will be the most critical aspect for the Ravens having success in the passing game.

    2. Keep Flacco Rolling

    One of the best ways to keep a quarterback upright is to change his launch point. Against a Houston front seven that can demolish the pocket, getting Flacco moving on rollouts and bootlegs could keep the Houston rushers on their heels.

    In addition, moving the pocket left or right could also neutralize some of the intricate overload blitzes Wade Phillips likes to run.

    3. Spread the Sauce

    Flacco should have the green light to run the no-huddle offense throughout the game. In this contest the offense needs to push the tempo, build an early lead, and put the onus on the Houston offense to keep up.

    The Packers stayed in a lot of spread formations to create favorable matchups against nickel corner Brice McCain and safety Glover Quinn. In instances when Quinn moved into the box to support the run, the Packers ran the ball right at him.

    Like Green Bay, the Ravens have the personnel to operate out a three wide, one tight and one back formation, and stay in that formation all game. Look for Jacoby Jones to be a big part of the offensive attack against his former team.

    Defense Battle Plans HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @ russellstreport




  2. #2

    Re: BATTLE PLANS: Ravens @ Texans

    Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Offense

    1. Double Wattage

    No 3-4 DE has been as dynamic a rusher as Houston’s J.J. Watt. What makes Watt so special is that he has the power to drive through blockers, and electric burst to get around them. Watt is so good that teams are not only devoting a double team inside, but a third blocker—either a back or tight end—to help chip block.

    The Ravens will need to take the same approach against Watt. They will need to lean on two blockers to keep Watt at bay and take their chances with Oher and Osmele blocking without help against edge rushers Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed. While Barwin and Reed are dangerous in their own right, they’ve been pretty ordinary this season. Being able to execute this blocking scheme will be the most critical aspect for the Ravens having success in the passing game.

    2. Keep Flacco Rolling

    One of the best ways to keep a quarterback upright is to change his launch point. Against a Houston front seven that can demolish the pocket, getting Flacco moving on rollouts and bootlegs could keep the Houston rushers on their heels.

    In addition, moving the pocket left or right could also neutralize some of the intricate overload blitzes Wade Phillips likes to run.

    3. Spread the Sauce

    Flacco should have the green light to run the no-huddle offense throughout the game. In this contest the offense needs to push the tempo, build an early lead, and put the onus on the Houston offense to keep up.

    The Packers stayed in a lot of spread formations to create favorable matchups against nickel corner Brice McCain and safety Glover Quinn. In instances when Quinn moved into the box to support the run, the Packers ran the ball right at him.

    Like Green Bay, the Ravens have the personnel to operate out a three wide, one tight and one back formation, and stay in that formation all game. Look for Jacoby Jones to be a big part of the offensive attack against his former team.

    Defense Battle Plans HERE
    I would click on the link to the defense battle plans, but I assume it just says, "firmly grab ahold of own ass and pray."





  3. #3

    Re: BATTLE PLANS: Ravens @ Texans

    Score more points. This isnt the 85' Bears team.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,052
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: BATTLE PLANS: Ravens @ Texans

    I hope it doesn't bite me in the ass but I'm actually pretty confident with the match ups between Oher and Osemele vs Reed and Bawrin. They are both pretty good players, but have been nothing special this year, all the attention must be on Watt, and the other DE Antonio Smith is probably their second best player but doesn't seem to get much recognition.




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arbutus
    Posts
    1,123

    Re: BATTLE PLANS: Ravens @ Texans

    If used correctly, Rice could have huge receiving numbers in this game.




  6. #6

    Re: BATTLE PLANS: Ravens @ Texans

    Keep the game tight and force Schaub to raise his game in the 4th Quarter......
    Way Down South in New Orleans




  7. #7

    Re: BATTLE PLANS: Ravens @ Texans

    I like the idea of going no huddle but not necessarily hurry up of course, texans had to alter their subsitution packages as a result of Cushing being out and it appears we should be able to exploit that. More rollouts and bootlegs would be a wise game plan strategy this week.
    Defensively we just need to go back to fundamentals, tackle and set the edge. We are probably going to still give up a lot of yardage but at least minimize the damage with proper fundamentals.
    Last but not least start fast. I can't recall the last time we scored a touchdown on our opening drive on the road.




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,457
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: BATTLE PLANS: Ravens @ Texans

    I want to see a lot of quick throws to negate Watt and the pass rush. Get the ball out of Flacco's hands before the pass rush can get to him.




  9. #9

    Re: BATTLE PLANS: Ravens @ Texans

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I want to see a lot of quick throws to negate Watt and the pass rush. Get the ball out of Flacco's hands before the pass rush can get to him.
    Agreed. Quick throws are generally coupled with oline technique aimed at getting pass rushers hands down. That's also key for going against Watt, because even if he doesn't get tot he QB, he's got a knack for still disrupting passes. If the game is over and Watt's ribs aren't sore for the next week then the oline didn't do its job, IMO.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,457
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: BATTLE PLANS: Ravens @ Texans

    Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    Agreed. Quick throws are generally coupled with oline technique aimed at getting pass rushers hands down. That's also key for going against Watt, because even if he doesn't get tot he QB, he's got a knack for still disrupting passes. If the game is over and Watt's ribs aren't sore for the next week then the oline didn't do its job, IMO.
    I think with Flacco being 6'6" helps a lot too. Flacco doesn't usually gets passes batted. Granted Watt is an athletic freak, but Flacco definitely has an advantage being tall and having a high release point.




  11. #11

    Re: BATTLE PLANS: Ravens @ Texans

    Our best hope is winning TOP with long clock eating drives that end in TD's. We need to keep our defense off the field. (I know, hard to believe, isn't it?) Our D is 26th and that's with Lewis and Webb. I know Ray has slowed but he's still better than his replacements. This one will get ugly if the O is throwing 3 and outs or turns it over at all. In that case, we'll be hard pressed to keep Houston below 40+ points.




  12. #12

    Re: BATTLE PLANS: Ravens @ Texans

    Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Keep the game tight and force Schaub to raise his game in the 4th Quarter......




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland