Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 55
  1. #25
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    4,249
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Time for some in house changes?



    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    All of those big games on offense were at home. The Oline has actually been better than average in the games played at home (apart from the Browns game). Crowd noise seems to really affect this Oline, and the coaches need to do something to fix this as other offensive lines have coped far better on the road.

    What happened to our Oline from 08 and 09 were Rice ad McGahee had huge holes to run through? Hell even LeRon McClain had 900 rushing yards, and he's a fullback. We ran a pure power run scheme then, and that's what we should be running today, none of this hybrid ZBS crap. If you want to run a ZBS, get the players that fit into it! Your not going to have that with a 36 year old playing center, or guys who weigh over 330 lbs like Bobbie Williams.
    Only one player was here both of those years and that is Yanda. The rest of that OL is gone. Oher came in 2009. In 2008, the OL looked so young and promising. Gaither, Grubbs, Brown, Yanda. And then adding Oher in 2009. Imagine if we could have kept that group healthy and together. It's amazing how quickly a unit of strength can become a major weakness.




  2. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where Ravens Fans Roam Free
    Posts
    1,898

    Re: Time for some in house changes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Only one player was here both of those years and that is Yanda. The rest of that OL is gone. Oher came in 2009. In 2008, the OL looked so young and promising. Gaither, Grubbs, Brown, Yanda. And then adding Oher in 2009. Imagine if we could have kept that group healthy and together. It's amazing how quickly a unit of strength can become a major weakness.
    Ray Rice had a great year last year, and the Ravens made it to within one dropped pass from making it to the Super Bowl. If they would have left the OL alone, and just replaced Grubbs with KO, they would be in much better shape right now. I would have loved to have seen them keep Grubbs, but if that wasn't possible due to the salary cap, then they actually found a gem in KO to replace him with for THIS season. Nothing is stopping them from moving Oher to LT and KO to RT next year after they have a chance to get a better LG and C in the draft or through FA.




  3. #27

    Re: Time for some in house changes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    People really need to look at WHY Pees left NE to begin with. Who leaves a DC job to become a LB coach? The fact of the matter is Pees was on the verge of being demoted/ fired. His contract expired and the Pats didn't want him back. I wonder why?
    If Marvin gets the axe at Cinncy,bring back the architect of this defense. Move Caldwell up to OC. If Rex gets canned,bring back Dennis Thurman for DB"s and Mike Pettine fo LB'S. We've lost too many good coaches over the past few seasons and it's starting to show. We also need OL,WR and Special Teams coaches. We need an overhaul.




  4. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cub Hill, MD
    Posts
    2,464

    Re: Time for some in house changes?

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    All of those big games on offense were at home. The Oline has actually been better than average in the games played at home (apart from the Browns game). Crowd noise seems to really affect this Oline, and the coaches need to do something to fix this as other offensive lines have coped far better on the road.

    What happened to our Oline from 08 and 09 were Rice ad McGahee had huge holes to run through? Hell even LeRon McClain had 900 rushing yards, and he's a fullback. We ran a pure power run scheme then, and that's what we should be running today, none of this hybrid ZBS crap. If you want to run a ZBS, get the players that fit into it! Your not going to have that with a 36 year old playing center, or guys who weigh over 330 lbs like Bobbie Williams.
    I asked you before about what fundamentals our guys were weak at, and I still haven't seen anything that pinpoints one. As a previous poster said, we had a Top 5 offense through six games. In a loud environment yesterday, did we have even one false start by an O-lineman yesterday? I don't think so. So your position is questionable.

    And RE: zone blocking, we have the horses to do that. Oher, Yanda and Osemele were chosen in part because of their abilities to move laterally and get in space. OK, Birk not so much, but better than guys from the past like Bennie Anderson, Zeus, etc. when we ran a more mauling straight-ahead style.

    Preston has already nailed it. It's all about speed rushers off the edge. Our tackles can't deal with them. Look who we've struggled against, they have that element for the most part. That is a talent issue, not one of fundamentals. I was fully expecting them to keep a TE or McKinnie in to max protect, but they didn't. That is to me, just being unprepared on the coaching side. They knew what the Texans brought, and they essentially ignored it. And the batted balls...damn, is there anyone that covers the NFL not aware that they do this more than any team? They didn't even try to counter that. No adjustments at all. It's talent, and it is also an excellent example of the coaching staff laying a deuce on the 50 yard line.

    We don't have the flexibility to run 2 TEs in patterns against teams that can rush the passer off the edge. We need to run plays that neutralize the rush. Screens, draws, rollouts...and QUICK DEVELOPING PASS PATTERNS. This isn't fucking rocket science. Play to your strengths, not your weaknesses!


    WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012




  5. #29

    Re: Time for some in house changes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    People really need to look at WHY Pees left NE to begin with. Who leaves a DC job to become a LB coach? The fact of the matter is Pees was on the verge of being demoted/ fired. His contract expired and the Pats didn't want him back. I wonder why?
    What "fact" would that be?
    NE's (total) defensive ranking from 2006-2009 was 6th, 4th, 10th and 11th.
    Certainly, a mild downward trend, but not exactly worthy of termination, so let's not make stuff up.

    I would think that if Pees was on the verge of being demoted/fired as you state then BB would have either had a successor at-the-ready or would have promoted an assistant. Well, neither one of those things happened. Instead, NE went into and through the 2010 season with no one at DC (nor at OC either as I recall).




  6. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Western Mass, via Holabird Ave.
    Posts
    626
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Time for some in house changes?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    What "fact" would that be?
    NE's (total) defensive ranking from 2006-2009 was 6th, 4th, 10th and 11th.
    Certainly, a mild downward trend, but not exactly worthy of termination, so let's not make stuff up.

    I would think that if Pees was on the verge of being demoted/fired as you state then BB would have either had a successor at-the-ready or would have promoted an assistant. Well, neither one of those things happened. Instead, NE went into and through the 2010 season with no one at DC (nor at OC either as I recall).
    I can read that as Belichek saying that having Pees is about the same as having no DC at all.




  7. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    2,793
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Time for some in house changes?

    If the fundamental issue is communication amongst the OL then shuffling the players around isn't likely to improve things quickly. But if there's any thought of trying that now's the time--if they can tiptoe past the Browns they can probably beat the Raiders & arrive in Pittsburgh with 4 weeks of practice & 2 games to settle in.

    I get the feeling that part of the problem on the road is that the OL is a beat slower off the snap. (I wonder how much of Birk's routine is to ensure that everyone on the line knows when the snap is coming--he seems to dip his head & hike up his butt & then snap the ball on the same count every down. The problem of course is that any defense that's watched the film knows when the snap is coming as well--advantage, D. Maybe they need to put in some silent counts or just some variations to keep the opposing D honest?)

    The problem with keeping a TE in to block is that neither of them is very good at it. Maybe they need to go the opposite route & spread the field...but then Joe's gotta find the hot read on a 3-step drop.

    Speaking of 3-step drops, I gather that the Texans had a complete read on when he'd be throwing from one, since they seemed to know exactly when to get their hands up.

    I myself am more concerned about the D, particularly the line. I was scratching my head as to why it looked pretty good on the first 3 series & then went into the tank, & it occurred to me that it took that long for Houston to test Suggs & then implement contingency plans. IIRC they started by going right at him, & he held up well. Then when that didn't work, they ran plays away from him. Sizzle in his first game back looked (understandably) a step slow in pursuit, particularly when Schaub was rolling away from him, & that set the pass rush back to ground zero. Hindsight being 20-20, maybe they should have played man coverage at that point--couldn't've been much worse, could it?--but with Suggs neutralized that probably looked like a recipe for disaster.

    We are starting to understand how important Redding was to last year's defense--& suspect how much the loss of McBean, who was signed to take his place, late in the preseason has hurt.

    IMO if Pees has anything up his sleeve (different schemes or personnel groupings) now is the time to put them in in hopes of making it to 7-2 before they get to Pittsburgh; if they don't, the chances of squeezing out a playoff spot go way down--they'll probably have to sweep the Stealers, win once between DC, Denver & the Giants, & it still might come down to Week 17 in Cincy.




  8. #32

    Re: Time for some in house changes?

    Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    That is to me, just being unprepared on the coaching side. They knew what the Texans brought, and they essentially ignored it. And the batted balls...damn, is there anyone that covers the NFL not aware that they do this more than any team? They didn't even try to counter that. No adjustments at all. It's talent, and it is also an excellent example of the coaching staff laying a deuce on the 50 yard line.

    We don't have the flexibility to run 2 TEs in patterns against teams that can rush the passer off the edge. We need to run plays that neutralize the rush. Screens, draws, rollouts...and QUICK DEVELOPING PASS PATTERNS. This isn't fucking rocket science. Play to your strengths, not your weaknesses!


    Your playing against a team who gets to the QB and have an Oline that is more than willing to cooperate in that venture.

    Why the fuck are we running ridiculous slow developing patterns from the 1980's Dan Fouts playbook????? When we see our offense run a slant, a screen or any other quick pattern around here we all jump up and down like an Irishman who just saw his first Leprechaun
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis




  9. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Right Where I need to be
    Posts
    1,258

    Re: Time for some in house changes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post


    Your playing against a team who gets to the QB and have an Oline that is more than willing to cooperate in that venture.

    Why the fuck are we running ridiculous slow developing patterns from the 1980's Dan Fouts playbook????? When we see our offense run a slant, a screen or any other quick pattern around here we all jump up and down like an Irishman who just saw his first Leprechaun
    Hell I saw a pot of GOLD and a Box of Lucky fing CHARMS!!!




  10. #34

    Re: Time for some in house changes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Why the fuck are we running ridiculous slow developing patterns from the 1980's Dan Fouts playbook????? When we see our offense run a slant, a screen or any other quick pattern around here we all jump up and down like an Irishman who just saw his first Leprechaun
    That's true. I wonder how much of that is Cameron this year and how much it is Flacco changing the play. Flacco has a lot of confidence in his ability. He wants the ball in his hand, especially at crunch time. He also seems to like slinging it deep. I don't think Cameron's offense has a lot of short, quick routes- the Coryell has never been known for that- but I do wonder how much of the plays we're seeing on the field are on Cameron and how much are on Flacco.




  11. #35

    Re: Time for some in house changes?

    Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    That's true. I wonder how much of that is Cameron this year and how much it is Flacco changing the play. Flacco has a lot of confidence in his ability. He wants the ball in his hand, especially at crunch time. He also seems to like slinging it deep. I don't think Cameron's offense has a lot of short, quick routes- the Coryell has never been known for that- but I do wonder how much of the plays we're seeing on the field are on Cameron and how much are on Flacco.
    I tend to think that since we saw very little of that prior to Joe having more control over the offense, its just not a big component of a Cam Cameron offense.

    Joe may be calling some of the plays at the line but I think people forget that he is still choosing from a bag of plays that are Cams plays. If those plays are anything like what we have seen Cam run the past 3 yrs, there are very few if any slants, screens or other quick strike type plays. Its not as if Joe is designing his own plays in the huddle lol, he is still running from a selection of Cams plays
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis




  12. #36

    Re: Time for some in house changes?

    Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    I can read that as Belichek saying that having Pees is about the same as having no DC at all.
    lol...ok. But I dont see how you land there based upon; NE's (total) defensive ranking from 2006-2009 was 6th, 4th, 10th and 11th.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland