Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 44
  1. #25

    Re: What's the chances of us landing Manti Teo in the draft?



    It'd be awesome to snag a 3-4 end who could also rush the passer in a beastly fashion ala JJ Watt. They also should definitely invest a top pick in an ILB. I think Ellerbe should be re-signed if he keeps up his play, but I'm just not sure on McClain. Maybe move him over to OLB? The pass rush is another issue. We haven't had two dominant bookend rushers since Suggs/Thomas of 06. I really like Upshaw, he is a bull vs the run, but does he have the ability to even be an effective rusher? I don't even know if Kruger is back next season unless he picks up his play. I also like McClellan a lot, he can play inside or outside pretty well. The DL needs major help though, there I agree. The secondary could use some better depth IMO, especially at S.




  2. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    910

    Re: What's the chances of us landing Manti Teo in the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lime in the Coconut View Post
    It'd be awesome to snag a 3-4 end who could also rush the passer in a beastly fashion ala JJ Watt. They also should definitely invest a top pick in an ILB. I think Ellerbe should be re-signed if he keeps up his play, but I'm just not sure on McClain. Maybe move him over to OLB? The pass rush is another issue. We haven't had two dominant bookend rushers since Suggs/Thomas of 06. I really like Upshaw, he is a bull vs the run, but does he have the ability to even be an effective rusher? I don't even know if Kruger is back next season unless he picks up his play. I also like McClellan a lot, he can play inside or outside pretty well. The DL needs major help though, there I agree. The secondary could use some better depth IMO, especially at S.
    I agree with alot of what you say. I think a major factor has to be the Ed Reed issue as well.
    Are we resigning him? If we don't then we NEED a starting safety, too.
    Yes, we need a DE in a big way.
    We need an ILB. And we need them like before this year.

    So, there is Eric Reid at S, Teo at ILB, and their is Sheldon Richardson (Missouri, 6'3", 295) at DT, but I think he can fill that DE role vacated by Redding.
    I also think Upshaw has improved every single game.
    He is learning under fire.
    And I think the BIGGEST help to him has just arrived in Suggs.
    Suggs will have the biggest affect on Upshaw.
    He will learn by watching first hand and watching with the film what Suggs does and how he does it. Right now, Suggs will become his biggest asset.
    So, lets give Upshaw a little time to learn some pass rushing skills first hand.

    FYI - CBS Sports 2013 rankings:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...kings/2013/all




  3. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,651

    Re: What's the chances of us landing Manti Teo in the draft?

    It'd be a waste of a pick right now. He'd do nothing with a big guard in top of him pretty much every play. The game is won and lost on the trenches.

    We've been great on here for years, and its really showing how important it is now. Ray Lewis just doesn't drop of like that in one year, he was protected by a good dline last year. We don't have it this year for whatever reason and its showing.

    We need a 5 Tec and NT I'm the first two picks if they are close to BPA.




  4. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,109
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: What's the chances of us landing Manti Teo in the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    It'd be a waste of a pick right now. He'd do nothing with a big guard in top of him pretty much every play. The game is won and lost on the trenches.

    We've been great on here for years, and its really showing how important it is now. Ray Lewis just doesn't drop of like that in one year, he was protected by a good dline last year. We don't have it this year for whatever reason and its showing.

    We need a 5 Tec and NT I'm the first two picks if they are close to BPA.
    You may be on to something there.




  5. #29

    Re: What's the chances of us landing Manti Teo in the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    It'd be a waste of a pick right now. He'd do nothing with a big guard in top of him pretty much every play. The game is won and lost on the trenches.

    We've been great on here for years, and its really showing how important it is now. Ray Lewis just doesn't drop of like that in one year, he was protected by a good dline last year. We don't have it this year for whatever reason and its showing.

    We need a 5 Tec and NT I'm the first two picks if they are close to BPA.
    Even though I don't agree with your post, I think you bring up some very nice points. I wouldn't think Teo would be a "wasted pick" but I can see why he might be the most prudent pick until we can find another D-lineman or two who can keep linemen off our LBs. I did think it was a bit better yesterday than against DAL and KC, probably because Kemo didn't play. It seemed like Foster's most successful runs were more a failure of the edge being set than the interior line collapsing. That was my observation in the first half at least. By the second half, I was so flustered that I didn't really pay as much attention.




  6. #30

    Re: What's the chances of us landing Manti Teo in the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    It'd be a waste of a pick right now. He'd do nothing with a big guard in top of him pretty much every play. The game is won and lost on the trenches.

    We've been great on here for years, and its really showing how important it is now. Ray Lewis just doesn't drop of like that in one year, he was protected by a good dline last year. We don't have it this year for whatever reason and its showing.

    We need a 5 Tec and NT I'm the first two picks if they are close to BPA.
    Yea you do have a point, then grab some LB's in rounds 3 and 4 that can fly to the football.




  7. #31

    Re: What's the chances of us landing Manti Teo in the draft?

    You know we won't get him unless we have a Top 10 pick. We all know how uber-conservative short of being [insert racial stereotype here] in regards to being cheap in the draft.

    He loves stockpiling those 5th and 6th rounders though... So unless Te'O falls that far...
    Self appointed Ravens SuperFan in the southern hemisphere/New Zealand.




  8. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,992
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: What's the chances of us landing Manti Teo in the draft?

    We absolutely have a shot at him.

    Dont'a Hightower was considered the best ILB prospect last year and he fell to the mid 20's. T'eo is arguably on the same level as Hightower, so I doubt a team reaches for him before pick 20. I'd be really surprised.

    If the Ravens are picking in the 20's, then I think they'll have a crack at him, but if (hopefully) they are picking in the 30's in round 1, then they may not.

    That said, I'm beginning to think that DT might be a bigger need or AS big of a need as ILB. Ngata is the only DT on the books right now who can generate any sort of pressure and he is doubled every other play. Art Jones is a rotational guy, McPhee is a situational pass rusher (who is hurt right now), Cody is a 2-down run stopper who plays with really terrible technique, Bryan Hall is an undersized project, and DeAngelo Tyson is still kind of up in the air.

    Other than Ngata, the Ravens don't have any other DT/5-technique DE that can shed blockers and get into the backfield. I mean, JJ Watt (granted, he is arguably the best DT/DE in the league right now) single-handedly changes the game with how he plays. If the Ravens can get an impact player like that across from Ngata, then things will be a lot easier to build off of.

    If I were Baltimore (Along with ILB's) I would be looking at these guys:
    Kawan Short, Purdue, 6'3" 310lbs
    Louis Nix, Notre Dame 6'4" 325lbs
    Margus Hunt, Southern Methodist, 6'7" 285lbs
    Sheldon Richardson, Missouri, 6'4" 290lbs
    Bennie Logan, LSU, 6'3" 290lbs
    Jon Jenkins, Georgia, 6'3" 355lbs

    Might be some interesting FA's as well. Not entirely sure who yet, but there definitely could be some interesting names out there.

    To me, taking someone like Nix (who has been a monster this year at NT and he is only 20 or 21 years old) in the bottom of round 1 and looking at someone like Alex Ogletree (Georgia), Gerald Hodges (Penn State), or CJ Mosely (Alabama) in rounds 2,3, and 4 would be the best value.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 10-22-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  9. #33

    Re: What's the chances of us landing Manti Teo in the draft?

    It seems like black magic to me, but it seems like every year New England has a plethora of picks. I wish Ozzie would accumulate picks like that.

    Hell, how great would it have been to grab Chandler Jones and Hightower? Not that I'm disappointed in Upshaw, but that's a great draft NE just had.




  10. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    12,269
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: What's the chances of us landing Manti Teo in the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I am huge ND fan so I've watched him for years. He's a top 10 pick, IMO.

    Unless we trade, we won't stand a chance...
    I agree. Once he gets to the Combine he's going to shoot up like Von Miller did.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  11. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,109
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: What's the chances of us landing Manti Teo in the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    We absolutely have a shot at him.

    Dont'a Hightower was considered the best ILB prospect last year and he fell to the mid 20's. T'eo is arguably on the same level as Hightower, so I doubt a team reaches for him before pick 20. I'd be really surprised.

    If the Ravens are picking in the 20's, then I think they'll have a crack at him, but if (hopefully) they are picking in the 30's in round 1, then they may not.

    That said, I'm beginning to think that DT might be a bigger need or AS big of a need as ILB. Ngata is the only DT on the books right now who can generate any sort of pressure and he is doubled every other play. Art Jones is a rotational guy, McPhee is a situational pass rusher (who is hurt right now), Cody is a 2-down run stopper who plays with really terrible technique, Bryan Hall is an undersized project, and DeAngelo Tyson is still kind of up in the air.

    Other than Ngata, the Ravens don't have any other DT/5-technique DE that can shed blockers and get into the backfield. I mean, JJ Watt (granted, he is arguably the best DT/DE in the league right now) single-handedly changes the game with how he plays. If the Ravens can get an impact player like that across from Ngata, then things will be a lot easier to build off of.

    If I were Baltimore (Along with ILB's) I would be looking at these guys:
    Kawan Short, Purdue, 6'3" 310lbs
    Louis Nix, Notre Dame 6'4" 325lbs
    Margus Hunt, Southern Methodist, 6'7" 285lbs
    Sheldon Richardson, Missouri, 6'4" 290lbs
    Bennie Logan, LSU, 6'3" 290lbs
    Jon Jenkins, Georgia, 6'3" 355lbs

    Might be some interesting FA's as well. Not entirely sure who yet, but there definitely could be some interesting names out there.

    To me, taking someone like Nix (who has been a monster this year at NT and he is only 20 or 21 years old) in the bottom of round 1 and looking at someone like Alex Ogletree (Georgia), Gerald Hodges (Penn State), or CJ Mosely (Alabama) in rounds 2,3, and 4 would be the best value.
    I have to go ahead and disagree with you about comparing Teo to Hightower. To me Teo is better than Luke Kuechly already, because he drops back into coverage just as well as Kuechly did, but he can come up and meet RB's in a hole and smash the shit out of them just as well if not better than what Hightower can, plus Teo is not surrounded by the talent Hightower was at Alabama. Teo is a great fit in both a 3-4 and 4-3 scheme. Luke Kuechly went 8 overall to Carolina, but has surprisingly struggled this year after a strong start. I hope it doesn't happen because I really want him, but if he carries on playing this well, and if he has a strong combine, he's going in the top 5. So that means we could be looking for a 5 tech or a DT, in which case we'll just take the BPA, then hope to get a CJ Moseley in the second round. I really like John Jenkins btw, he reminds me of Vince Wilfolk with the way he's built, but he can move like Wilfolk too.




  12. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,109
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: What's the chances of us landing Manti Teo in the draft?

    Don't rule out another pass rusher either, we could always try moving Upshaw inside and get a guy who has a quick first step and can bring more pressure the opposite side to Suggs.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland