Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: So what exactly has this organization/coaching staff done in order to improve this offense?

Yes, they have added a wrinkle here and there, but the no huddle for instance, it is a year too late.

I don't blame the FO. I blame the vision and the choice of offense. Air Coryell Sucks. Period.

Re: So what exactly has this organization/coaching staff done in order to improve this offense?

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    I agree with you. Cam should go, but he hasn't been given a great hand to play here. The O line is below average and has no depth. And the O line coach is questionable at best. They have, IMHO, over-rated Flacco and have failed to build a team and a system around him.

Our drafting overall has some blemishes lately. Oz/FO have relied too much on Ed/Ray/Haloti/Sizzle, and have failed to draft the next wave of players to move into their places.
    But shouldn't the offensive coordinator find ways to counter their weakenesses? The steelers (supposedly) have a terrible offensive line as well, but they use lots of wide-receiver screens and short crossing patterns to compensate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    The notion that the front office has not made any effort to improve every year is a little far fetch. I think everyone just wants to see Cam fired and then maybe from a fan's perspective they are making a sincere effort to improve. We shall see where the Ravens end up and what the offseason brings. I think regardless of what happens at the end of the season the offseason will be measured by the retaining or firing of Cam Cameron. I gave him a pass 2008-2010 and started to waver in my support of him last year and this year. In game adjustments are stil suspect, pass offense is inconsistent especially on the road. Two many 2 WR sets that call for Joe make 5-7 step dropbacks. And the list goes on and on. And yet despite all of that we are still 6-2 so I'm hopeful we'll see some improvement.
    I agree. The notion that the front office is kicking their feet up and being satisfied with just being a playoff team is a bit ridiculous.

I think the problem is that they weren't expecting such a rapid decline of Ray (and in some regards, Ed) on the defensive side of the ball. Other than inside linebacker, they've invested a fair amount of decently high draft picks to the defensive side of the ball (Upshaw, Kruger, Jimmy, Cody, Kindle, etc). I think that they were hoping that Ray and Ed could sustain a high level of play for this year, which would ultimately allow the guys around them to not be as exposed. It's just not happening.

That said, I do think (just my opinion...based on nothing) that Ozzie and Co. have gotten kind of complacent with LB, especially ILB. I mean, if you found gems like Bart Scott, Adalius Thomas, Pernell McPhee, and for all intents and purposes, Jameel McClain, Dannell Ellerbe, and Albert McClellan, you might think you can get away with not having to use high draft picks on front 7 personnel all of the time. The problem is, that has kind of come back to bite them in the ass a bit because they really have a lack of talent in the front 7 outside of Suggs and Ngata. I definitely think Dean Pees is part of the problem, but not addressing ILB for so many years is a bit concerning.

Now, they practically HAVE to draft an ILB next year and hope that they are good enough to contribute and/or start.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    But shouldn't the offensive coordinator find ways to counter their weakenesses? The steelers (supposedly) have a terrible offensive line as well, but they use lots of wide-receiver screens and short crossing patterns to compensate.
    Yes, and that - IMO - is the biggest contention point of the offense.

It's not like the Ravens are the only team in the league with a below average to average offensive line.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

You mean the same offense that has them one game behind the ravens at 5-3?

You know, you keep citing the past, or the obvious, but we are trying to look at a bigger picture here, the rest of the year. If the Raven's continue to play as they have, especially on the road, that 5-3 could easily end up an 9-7.

Thats the crux of the problem... We have an OC that is going to stick with his system come hell or highwater. He truly believes that if OL blocks well, his system will work (ie. His Execution bugaboo). At home when they dont have crowd noise and dont have to silent count, the OL is able to protect better. On the road, the pass rush is overwhelming Joe a 0.5-1.0sec quicker and the Cam routes havent fully develop. If you watched the game, you could easily see that Joe released the ball earlier than he wanted to. The Browns were dominating our OL and our receivers didnt have enough time to complete their route in time. Now Joe probably could have held the ball a 0.5sec longer a few times and threw a more accurate pass right before getting absolutely crushed. Problem with that is Joe wont be our starting QB for long.

I'm convinced that our season rests in the hands of our OL b/c Cam isnt gonna changeup his gameplan and call more quick passing routes. They've executed well home, so I'm gonna assume that continues. Now can they improve on their mediocre at best execution on the road.... I hope so.

Alright guys. I think that we should really put things into their proper perspectives here.

First off, the Air Coryell is not a bad system. Philip Rivers has had his share of playoff success with that system. Matthew Stafford just threw for over 5,000 yards, in a Coryell based system. It's not the system, it's the administration of the system.

As for the Atlanta Falcons, they are far from the best example to use. All of the moves they have made have resulted in zero playoff victories. I fail to see how they are trending upward, when a decent amount of their victories have not been pretty either, escaping with victories against teams that should not have given them so much trouble (Carolina, Oakland). I also fail to see how they are trending upward, because they've already had a 13-3 season. That was before Julio Jones came along and before they got rid of their offensive coordinator. They've already had the number 1 seed, and done nothing with it.

Matt Ryan's rookie year, he threw the interception that sealed the game against the Arizona Cardinals. They didn't even make the playoffs in 2009. In 2010, they went 13-3, gained the number seed, and ended up getting beat by Green Bay so bad that a Matt Ryan pick six put the game out of reach by halftime. He compiled most of his stats in garbage time. So, they traded for Julio Jones, made the playoffs again and couldn't even score a single point on offense. The two points the Falcons got, came from a safety forced by their defense, which was supposed to be their weak link.

Yes, it was a ballsy move, but until they gain playoff success I fail to see how their approach has even worked. I mean, they haven't just lost in the playoffs, they've sucked in the playoffs.

Guys, for the past two years, we've been harping on these, seemingly, massive deficiencies of a team that has won 12 games back to back years (With a playoff victory each year), who is on pace for another.

Now, if you feel they've plateaued, that's understandable. If you feel that Cameron is the issue and needs to go, that's understandable. That is where I can understand the feeling that another team may have been willing to take more chances, because I have personally wrote about the risk averse mentality of the team as it pertains to the offense. However, Atlanta is a bad example, because they haven't seen any playoff results at all.

I don't understand why it should make a difference who they lost to. They lost to Arizona, Green Bay and New York. All three of those teams went on to the Super Bowl. The Ravens lost to the Steelers, Colts, Steelers and Patriots. All four of those teams went on to the Super Bowl. I don't see the point in bringing that up. Especially if the goal is to win the Super Bowl, because in that case Atlanta hasn't done any better than Baltimore.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Not really the point. It seems that the two teams are going in opposite directions. Despite their record, If you're comfortable with how the Ravens are playing, then that's fine. I wish I could say the same.

Not really the point. It seems that the two teams are going in opposite directions. Despite their record, If you're comfortable with how the Ravens are playing, then that's fine. I wish I could say the same.
    Ravenhater
    No one's comfortable and neither am I but everyone here suggests (including you) that the ravens are the only team with issues. This league is a week to week thing. Anyone can be humbled at any time. If the Steelers lose to KC next week then what? They are still trending upwards?

Ravenhater
    No one's comfortable and neither am I but everyone here suggests (including you) that the ravens are the only team with issues. This league is a week to week thing. Anyone can be humbled at any time. If the Steelers lose to KC next week then what? They are still trending upwards?
    Or, if they don't beat the Chiefs by 21 points, are they still trending upward? Wouldn't they only be doing what the Ravens are doing?
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

The Steelers win last Sunday was impressive. No denying it. But prior to that, their previous 2 wins were against the Redskins and Bengals. And prior to that, they had lost 2 of 3 to the Raiders and Titans and barely beat the Eagles.

I expect them to play well and to be a tough team for the Ravens to beat, but I have a hard time seeing any trend other than "you are as good as your last game", maybe.