Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 72 of 84
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    3,522

    Re: The Ravens approached the offense the wrong way.



    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Yeah bro, watch tonight's TNF game for example. Watch how even a terrible team like Jacksonville can get separation so easily, not that Gabbert will hit them, because he is truly the definition of a below average QB.

    Then watch how well the colts will do it, they've had a lot of success recently with Andrew Luck, I just wish we had that luxury, it is far from a talent issue, it's so obviously a coaching issue! Nobody can tell me that Boldin who was an out and out pro bowl WR before coming here can never get separation because of a lack of talent, and the same for Torrey Smith who's one of the fastest receivers in the league.

    Aside from that, I hate the fact that Cam cannot adjust or plan a balanced gameplan more than I hate his lack of creativity with the offense.
    Bingo. I used to wonder why the Ravens were the team where wide receivers came to die. Now we know.




  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    3,522

    Re: The Ravens approached the offense the wrong way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Its just his DNA.

    Cam is the kinda of guy who just seems to believe that if the plan is not working and if the offense cannot execute his plays....well thats not his fault. A really good coach looks at it and says....what plays can these guys run, what plays feed to their strengths, what can I change to increase the odds they can execute. I have not seen that ability from Cam even week to week....why would anyone expect to see it within the context of a game situation.
    This explains why his team practically hated him while he was HC of the Dolphins. And I'm not exagerrating, either. They despised him, from his lack of creativity to his sheer cowardice. You cannot lead a group of Alpha males with his personality. It can't be done.




  3. #63

    Re: The Ravens approached the offense the wrong way.

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Oh comon now, Flacco is better than Sanchez.
    Of course he is. I never said he wasn't.

    Just pointing out that there are a ton of Jets fans who blamed Brian Schottenhiemer and the players around him.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  4. #64

    Re: The Ravens approached the offense the wrong way.

    It's the same old story: consensus is -- Cam is at the root of our underachieving O.

    After 20+ years in management, I take a different view. For example, our O line is substandard. Not Moeller's fault: it's Cam's fault because he keeps Moeller on and/or does not kick his butt and demand better. Cam not delivering at an SB level? Harbaugh's fault for letting Cam get away with that performance.

    Ultimately, look to Bisciotti. It's inescapable: Steve is a lax owner (doubtful!) or he is generally satisfied with the performance of his employees.




  5. #65

    Re: The Ravens approached the offense the wrong way.

    Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    It's the same old story: consensus is -- Cam is at the root of our underachieving O.

    After 20+ years in management, I take a different view. For example, our O line is substandard. Not Moeller's fault: it's Cam's fault because he keeps Moeller on and/or does not kick his butt and demand better. Cam not delivering at an SB level? Harbaugh's fault for letting Cam get away with that performance.

    Ultimately, look to Bisciotti. It's inescapable: Steve is a lax owner (doubtful!) or he is generally satisfied with the performance of his employees.
    Do you know how much leash that dropped pass by Evans bought Harbaugh and company? Ughhhh, at least 4 more years of this bullshit.




  6. #66

    Re: The Ravens approached the offense the wrong way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Do you know how much leash that dropped pass by Evans bought Harbaugh and company? Ughhhh, at least 4 more years of this bullshit.
    If true (I DOUBT it) Steve is an incompetent owner/manager. Those of you who follow the team more closely know better than I do: is Steve satisfied with a winning record or does he have a passion for going all the way to the SB again?




  7. #67

    Re: The Ravens approached the offense the wrong way.

    Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    If true (I DOUBT it) Steve is an incompetent owner/manager. Those of you who follow the team more closely know better than I do: is Steve satisfied with a winning record or does he have a passion for going all the way to the SB again?
    I wouldn't call him that, I've met him, but saying he is hands off is a stretch. I never liked the 'gut' feeling that fired Billick when we never went out and got him a real QB. We were pretty damn good when McNair was healthy for one year.




  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,179
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Ravens approached the offense the wrong way.

    This is just a phase we are going through that makes everyone question the FO even if we are 6-2. It's far from pretty, but I still consider this FO to be among the best in the NFL, all teams go through their down periods, this is the NFL, to be 6-2 with the amount of flaws we have on our current team, it really is quite amazing, especially coming off 4 straight winning seasons, we just need to find a way to finish better and win it all.

    I don't have many issues with Harbaugh as a coach, other than the fact that he has made some poor choices of coordinators and certain positional coaches in his time here. Mattison, Cam, Pees, and Moeller, being the worse decisions thus far. He has however made some good personnel decisions too that people forget about, like Chuck Pagano for example.




  9. #69

    Re: The Ravens approached the offense the wrong way.

    We havent had any semblance of receiver separation in Cam's 5yrs, so that alone is reason to move on. Hey with a new OC, maybe RavensnTerps, aka Cam's son, will be right with his Joe aint that great rants. Seriously, can the Ravens answer the question if Joe is worth $15-17M/yr? By keeping Cam, they definitely cannot. Part of me believes in a f---ed up way that it was planned to keep Cam b/c they knew that Joe wouldnt flourish under his system, thus driving down his contract value.




  10. #70

    Re: The Ravens approached the offense the wrong way.

    Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Part of me believes in a f---ed up way that it was planned to keep Cam b/c they knew that Joe wouldnt flourish under his system, thus driving down his contract value.
    That's a stretch I wouldn't even make. They like consistency at the Castle. If anything, the being a catch away from a Super Bowl did more for Cam then any single thing. Cundiff just added to that. Besides, junking the offense and installing a new could have similar results, it may not work well the first year. Had that really been the case, they would have never brought in Jim Caldwell and left Cam to be the quarterbacks coach.




  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,179
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Ravens approached the offense the wrong way.

    Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Part of me believes in a f---ed up way that it was planned to keep Cam b/c they knew that Joe wouldnt flourish under his system, thus driving down his contract value.
    I'm sorry, but this is a silly, silly comment that is a total exaggeration.




  12. #72

    Re: The Ravens approached the offense the wrong way.

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I'm sorry, but this is a silly, silly comment that is a total exaggeration.
    I agree that it's an exaggeration, and Ravensnhokies seems to acknowledge that based on the way he phrased it. It might not be as silly as you think, though.

    NFL coaches are employees who have careers to think about just like a lot of other, more mundane folks, and if you think NFL coaches ALWAYS act to maximize their team's chances of winning games, you're wrong. The thing is, NFL coaches ALWAYS act to maximize their own career value, and winning as many football games as possible usually does that. But winning games might not always be the #1 consideration in a coach's mind to maximize his career value, especially if the coach needs to make a decision that might win more games but makes the coach look bad.

    Think about it... why in the world are the Jaguars playing Blaine Gabbert right now? He is the worst QB in the NFL, it's not even close, and he's not getting any better. Yet they have Chad Henne on the bench as a clearly superior option who could win more games, and are not playing him. Because a GM and coach that bench or cut a guy who was a first-round pick last year look stupid, they look like they're admitting a huge mistake, and it would hurt their careers (I'm looking mostly at the GM Gene Smith.)

    Another example: the Patriots and Wes Welker. They were routinely playing freaking Julian Edelman over Welker early in the season, and nobody can tell me it's because they think Edelman is a better player. As soon as Edelman and Hernandez went down to injuries, they moved Welker up the depth chart and re-incorporated him into the offense, and he looks as good as he always had. Belichick's actions were motivated by an attempt to lower Welker's value, and not by actual on-field considerations.

    Another thing that's happening here in Baltimore is the Bryant McKinnie situation... it's not the same issue, but it's pretty clear that the Ravens don't want him to pay him the "50+% of snaps" escalator in his contract. By not playing him, they save money... even though most of us tend to think this team becomes better with McKinnie at LT. Yet the Ravens aren't even CONSIDERING it, and I think the money is the primary reason for that.

    So yes, the thought that the Ravens are essentially intentionally sabotaging Flacco's success to drive down his value is an exaggeration, but it's by no means crazy. NFL coaches are still people and people behave in strange ways.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland