Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 72 of 263

Thread: Guns...

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,024

    Re: Guns...



    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Honestly, it really is at least as much for range use as home defense, (knock on wood, it's ONLY for that). She really enjoys our range days.
    I'm a traditionalist when it comes to guns. IMO, unless the gun is going to live in a safe all the time, it's going to be a home defense weapon simply because it's accessible ....

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Speaking with her, I think she's a the point where she wants to find a way to make the Glock work. I know I have personally seen her rack my slide a few times, so i will just make that part of her responsibility a the range for her "turn". I'm goign to double check her technique and make sure she is pushing with her strong hand while pulling with the weak one. It was jsut a point of information the gun store salsman pointed out that made me realize I was letting her shortcut the process. SHe may be small, but she's not feeble and should be able to do it with practice and good technique
    The salesman is dead on. Earlier you said she had mastered the Glock but unless she can clear a jam or work the action, she hasn't truly mastered it yet. This is why a recommended a revolver to you. It's good she's decided to learn the action. I had a similar issue with my wife and now she knows what to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    As for heading back to the OP, after havng been in a gun store eysterday, and talking with the sales staff, there has absolutely been a SERIOUS run on guns in the past month. Their inventory was far weaker then it was this fall, and their re-supply timeline is very vague. Glock's in particular are difficult for them to replenish, and were claimed to be "out of stock" basically everywhere.
    The panic right now is ridiculous. I've been able to find 9mm and .45 but I cannot find bulk .223 right now. I have not been shopping yet for a new weapon but have heard similar stories of empty shelves. It's silly. None of these gun bills have a chance at passing the House and there's an argument to be made they wont pass the Senate either.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,251

    Re: Guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The panic right now is ridiculous. I've been able to find 9mm and .45 but I cannot find bulk .223 right now. I have not been shopping yet for a new weapon but have heard similar stories of empty shelves. It's silly. None of these gun bills have a chance at passing the House and there's an argument to be made they wont pass the Senate either.
    The only good thing about the panic is, I might able to use it as a way to get more guns!

    Other than that, it's pretty ridiculous. If Chicago (or Illinois) couldn't pass that bill (last week I believe) there's not much danger of passing anything in the House and Senate.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  3. #63

    Re: Guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'm a traditionalist when it comes to guns. IMO, unless the gun is going to live in a safe all the time, it's going to be a home defense weapon simply because it's accessible ....



    The salesman is dead on. Earlier you said she had mastered the Glock but unless she can clear a jam or work the action, she hasn't truly mastered it yet. This is why a recommended a revolver to you. It's good she's decided to learn the action. I had a similar issue with my wife and now she knows what to do.



    The panic right now is ridiculous. I've been able to find 9mm and .45 but I cannot find bulk .223 right now. I have not been shopping yet for a new weapon but have heard similar stories of empty shelves. It's silly. None of these gun bills have a chance at passing the House and there's an argument to be made they wont pass the Senate either.
    agreed, it WILL be a home defense weapon, but as you know, without range practice, I wouldn't even want it in my home. It will live in a biometric safe accessible by either of our fingerprints. Becuase of this, she has to be proficient with more then jsut shooting the gun. So, we will be spending our next range day ensuring she can load a magazine and rack the slide. It's been a few range days since she missed the sillouette, so I'm pretty confident she can hit a target if need be, but my Glock has yet to jam(duh) so I'm nto sure how she would handle that situation. We will be working on that.

    I'm with you on the revolver, in a rest position loaded, no springs stressed, etc. 6-8 shots should be fine for every situation, etc. I jsut don't think it's what she wants, which means she will have to prove to me she can fully handle a semi-auto's full operation. She's interested, responsible and practices safe range techniques now, so i think it will jsut be a matter of a day or two of practice. I'm glad the salesman piointed out a flaw in our target practices.


    NOt only was firearm selection weak as death, but they had literally ZERO Glock mags... and were even currently out of anything but simple cheap ball rounds in 9mm, and likely .223, but they did have a few AR style rifles in stock, which was surprising to me.




  4. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,251

    Re: Guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    NOt only was firearm selection weak as death, but they had literally ZERO Glock mags... and were even currently out of anything but simple cheap ball rounds in 9mm, and likely .223, but they did have a few AR style rifles in stock, which was surprising to me.
    It's so bad right now that I went to pick up ammo a few weeks back, they had 1 box of .45 ammo and the guy said he found it hiding in the back of the case.

    I want to go to the range this weekend, but, I don't want to be without ammo.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  5. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,024

    Re: Guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    It's so bad right now that I went to pick up ammo a few weeks back, they had 1 box of .45 ammo and the guy said he found it hiding in the back of the case.

    I want to go to the range this weekend, but, I don't want to be without ammo.
    I'm not heading to the range this weekend either. I don't want to burn up my reserves of ammo. I only have 500 rounds of .223 right now and I can go through that in an afternoon.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,024

    Re: Guns...

    For once, the Daily Kos and I are in total agreement .....

    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/0...ond-Amendment#
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,251

    Re: Guns...

    Wow. Why can't they think/write like that more often?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  8. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,295
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Guns...

    Looks like OBY is gonna use executive order on guns. Didn't think he could do that.

    ____________________________________
    The president is going to act," said Biden, giving some comments to the press before a meeting with victims of gun violence. "There are executives orders, there's executive action that can be taken. We haven't decided what that is yet.
    _____________________________________



    http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...ns_694984.html
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.
    THE BITCH IS DEAD - JAMES BOND.




  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,024

    Re: Guns...

    It's a tactic. Nothing more.

    Obama is not dumb. He knows he doesn't have the votes in Congress to enact anything. In order to save face, he enlisted the Veep to run this commission and will issue edicts restricting sales of so-called Assault Weapons and high capacity "clips" as he calls them (I have no idea what a clip is, but whatever). It will get overturned via a court becasue he doesn't have the power. Obama can then whine about how the courts don't care, etc.

    It's all designed so Obama can say he's done something all the while the real root of the problem, the person behind the gun, never gets addressed. Again.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #70

    Re: Guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Looks like OBY is gonna use executive order on guns. Didn't think he could do that.

    ____________________________________
    The president is going to act," said Biden, giving some comments to the press before a meeting with victims of gun violence. "There are executives orders, there's executive action that can be taken. We haven't decided what that is yet.
    _____________________________________



    http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...ns_694984.html
    He wishes he was a dictator. But he's not, as hard as he tris to be.




  11. #71

    Re: Guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It's a tactic. Nothing more.

    Obama is not dumb. He knows he doesn't have the votes in Congress to enact anything. In order to save face, he enlisted the Veep to run this commission and will issue edicts restricting sales of so-called Assault Weapons and high capacity "clips" as he calls them (I have no idea what a clip is, but whatever). It will get overturned via a court becasue he doesn't have the power. Obama can then whine about how the courts don't care, etc.

    It's all designed so Obama can say he's done something all the while the real root of the problem, the person behind the gun, never gets addressed. Again.
    I just did a quick google search, as I myself have used clips and magazines universally in the past (im clearly no gun expert) and came up with this...

    A magazine is what is used to feed the weapon itself, whereas a clip is used to feed the magazine. Clips make loading of magazines much easier and faster, and in some cases, a clip is required in order for the magazine to work (e.g. M1 Garand).

    It is speculated that the confusion and misuse of the terms came about in the world of guns when troops who used the M1 Garand in the US Military started using other firearms and continued to used the term "clip" when referring to what was actually a magazine.
    its from a "blog" but seems to make sense.

    is it possible due to language that any restriction on "clips" ends up having zero effect on magazines?
    -JAB




  12. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,024

    Re: Guns...

    I made that comment with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek, JAB.

    It's a common mistake, thanks to Hollywood, that folks who do not know anything about guns make often. Those of us who know the difference make fun of it just as equally often.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland