Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 31
  1. #13

    Re: OT: Maryland to the Big Ten



    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Its about TV money if they go. Big Ten brings in significantly more TV revenue than the ACC. Even paying the 50 million dollar exit fee (for some reason I heard 30 on the radio) they would come out well ahead over the next few years. Not to mention if the Big 10 wants them enough they could choose to pay a portion of that fee either directly or indirectly

    I doubt it happens but if the Big 10 offers, Maryland would be stupid not listen at the very least. There could be advantages for them to going to the Big 10.
    This would be terrible. I really hope they don't bail for what will be the equivalent of around 5-7mil more per year. As a former MD grad, it would make getting to away games miserable and very costly.

    And I know most people could care less about the non revenue generating sports, but it would kill soccer, field hockey, and lacrosse. MD has great tradition and history and championships in these sports and that would be ruined.

    I hope they stay put.




  2. #14

    Re: OT: Maryland to the Big Ten

    Quote Originally Posted by teagues View Post
    This would be terrible. I really hope they don't bail for what will be the equivalent of around 5-7mil more per year. As a former MD grad, it would make getting to away games miserable and very costly.

    And I know most people could care less about the non revenue generating sports, but it would kill soccer, field hockey, and lacrosse. MD has great tradition and history and championships in these sports and that would be ruined.

    I hope they stay put.
    Oh, it's WAY more than that. Try around $16-17 million a year.

    And I doubt it kills other sports...especially lacrosse. Hopkins is an annual national power and they aren't in a power conference.

    Maybe this also helps them get a couple of those sports they cut back too...with proper funding as well.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  3. #15

    Re: OT: Maryland to the Big Ten

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Oh, it's WAY more than that. Try around $16-17 million a year.

    And I doubt it kills other sports...especially lacrosse. Hopkins is an annual national power and they aren't in a power conference.

    Maybe this also helps them get a couple of those sports they cut back too...with proper funding as well.
    Nah, I think it will be less. The big ten/ big 10 network offers each team 8 million more per year than ACC does. This does not include that number dwindling because of adding two more schools to the pot plus the cost of travel will be much higher for each sport. Now, the Big10 TV contract will be up in 2017, so more money will probably be negotiated.

    Short term, they will lose booster money as most purists will be annoyed as hell by the move. Especially the ones who spend time and money travelling to away games now. And the prospect of being a doormat in football will not make recruiting any easier. Plus, adding Syracuse and Pitt for basketball basically turned the ACC into the premier B-ball conference, and MD is a basketball school.




  4. #16

    Re: OT: Maryland to the Big Ten

    Pretty sure those figures that are reported out from the TV networks don't include the Big 10 network money.

    The word from the "insiders" are talking a much bigger figure than $8 million.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  5. #17

    Re: OT: Maryland to the Big Ten

    Someone crunched some numbers on the MD board...about the Big 10 network.

    Basically you can get upwards of 14.6 million subscribers by adding UMD and Rutgers. The actual fee jumps to .75 cent per month for the channel that is on basic.

    Basically this would add somewhere between $8.76 mill to $10.22 million per month. That is what...$105 to $122 per year?

    There is a LOT of money out here at stake and trust me, MD isn't going to leave for $5-8 million (although $8 million in itself is significant) and take all the backlash from alumni.

    This is going to be a very large windfall for the AD (and it will also help with funds for the academic side as well)
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  6. #18

    Re: OT: Maryland to the Big Ten

    I think the whole thing stinks to high hell. I'm sick of all the traditions in college sports being thrown out the window for the almighty dollar.




  7. #19

    Re: OT: Maryland to the Big Ten

    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    I think the whole thing stinks to high hell. I'm sick of all the traditions in college sports being thrown out the window for the almighty dollar.
    It sucks and I'm sure everybody would prefer to stay in the ACC, but due to the previous 2 AD's wrecking the budget, it's necessary.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  8. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,205
    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    I think the whole thing stinks to high hell. I'm sick of all the traditions in college sports being thrown out the window for the almighty dollar.
    I disagree.

    From a football standpoint, the ACC has become a joke. And who do we have a tradition with anyway? Maybe this move will be the elixir to get both the football and hoops teams t the next level.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  9. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,899

    Re: OT: Maryland to the Big Ten

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I disagree.

    From a football standpoint, the ACC has become a joke. And who do we have a tradition with anyway? Maybe this move will be the elixir to get both the football and hoops teams t the next level.
    Exactly. Turgeon has already done a good job at recruiting and the basketball team is going to be very good IMO. I'll miss the Duke and NC matchups if they can't schedule some out of conference games. Football on the other hand, will suffer mostly due to the turmoil (player departures, coaching changes, injuries etc). I think that Edsall will improve that program in the next couple of years. Overall I have no personal reason to dislike a potential move to the Big Ten. It sure would be nice to see UMD sports on national television once in a while.
    "Old Man my Ass!" - John Malkovich




  10. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    13,495
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT: Maryland to the Big Ten

    Wow, read about it this morning for the first time and I have to admit I was floored. I get that it's about the money but this move would likely mean the ACC is on it's way to extinction. Kinda sad but hopefully it'll be good for the University long term




  11. #23

    Re: OT: Maryland to the Big Ten

    As a MD Alum, from a purely economics stand point this is an excellent move. The extra revenue generated for the academic departments means MD can attract better professors. It might also keep the tuition down to an almost reasonable level. While it's nice to wax nostalgic about the bygone days, universities are big business and so are sports programs. I think it is a safe bet that none of use would turn down a large increase in income because we are emotionally wedded to an institution.




  12. #24

    Re: OT: Maryland to the Big Ten

    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    I think the whole thing stinks to high hell. I'm sick of all the traditions in college sports being thrown out the window for the almighty dollar.
    I agree it sucks but in fairness to UMD they were certainly not the ones who started this move towards super-conferences, all they are doing is making sure they have a chair when the music stops. I would rather they do that then be sitting here in 5-6 yrs in a ACC conference without UNC, VaTech, FSU, Miami, Clemson etc because those teams went to the Big 10, SEC or Big 12 instead. Reality sucks but is what it is.
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland