1) Backside screens: One of the most innovative plays that the Ravens ran against
This type of play could prove fruitful against
The best bet for the Ravens will be to use more unbalanced sets to fake the run-action to the play-side in order to invite the rush, and then run pass plays behind the rush on the backside.
2) Keep the backs in: In a lot of ways, the
In certain situations, the Ravens tried to counteract the
3) Get the safeties moving: Although the
In this game, quarterback Joe Flacco should throw the ball away from the side of safety Ken Hamlin. Hamlin is a ball hawk who will close on the ball in a hurry. Meanwhile, strong safety Keith Davis is more susceptible on the other side, and he may have issues covering in deep support, especially in one-on-one situations against a free receiver. The game plan should be to run routes through his area.
1) Keep Romo in the pocket: Facing Ben Roethlisberger and Tony Romo in back-to-back weeks is a difficult task for any defense to handle. However, in this instance, it should benefit the
Despite the progression that Romo has made as a more complete quarterback, he is still not able to function as a pure pocket passer. When he’s at his best, he is moving around from side-to-side and improvising in order to keep a play alive. If Romo is in this mode against the Ravens, the defense will have a tough time containing the
The defensive line and the linebackers cannot over pursue when they push the pocket, and when Romo moves up, defenders will need to stick to their assignments and let Romo run, as opposed to allowing receivers to uncover downfield so Romo can find them while he’s on the move.
2) Defending the middle: The most difficult challenge that a defense has to deal with when facing the Cowboys is being forced to rely on its corners to man up the outside receivers so that the linebackers and the safeties can converge on tight end Jason Witten.
The Ravens have a number of offensive weapons to keep track of, but
One-on-one Matchup to Watch: Todd Heap versus Ken Hamlin: Hamlin is perhaps the most important defender that