Fantasy News and Notes
· Falcons, Roddy White had 8 receptions for 61 yards and no scores, Chicago’s Charles Tillman had tight coverage all day, White was not able to get open more than fifteen yards downfield all day, due to that bad pass protection for Matt Ryan, it will not get easier for White, he has the Eagles this week
· Bills, TE Scott Chandler had 5 catches for sixty three yards, with 2 scores, the Bills have not thrown to the TE consistently since Jim Kelly in 1992, 93, Chandler ran from the slot on his scoring throws, which is a complete change from last year for Buffalo inside the twenty. If you go the waiver wire for him, be aware, there are tough match ups against the Raiders, Patriots, and Eagles the next several weeks
· Panthers, Cam Newton threw for a rookie first game record 403 yards, that was shocking, so was seeing WR Steve Smith atop the fantasy leader board again, not drafted in many leagues, with 8 receptions 178, yards and two td’s, defensive coordinators will game plan around him, but Newton will get him the ball, you will see a lot of screens to him this year.
· Browns, TE Evan Moore scored and had three receptions for 35 yards Sunday, fellow TE Ben Watson scored also, but Moore’s youth will see him move into a more prominent role as the season moves along
· Lions, Matthew Stafford targets Calvin Johnson first, WR Nate Burleson, TE Brandon Pettigrew, and RB Jahvid Best all had at least 5 receptions also, fantasy value is there for all of them
· Houston, Arian Foster will probably play this week but they will be cautious with him, Ben Tate, who went over 100 yards last week and with Derrick Ward’s ankle hurting, will get most of the carries, even though he had a 4th period fumble, WR Kevin Walter did not break his collarbone, he bruised it, and might play this week.
· Colts, they were awful, except for Reggie Wayne, but Joseph Addai ran well also, with the few carries he had and is the check down receiver, there is still fantasy value there, favorable match up with Cleveland this week.
· Jaguars, Head coach Jack Del Rio does not want Maurice Jones-Drew getting thirty carries a game, at least not yet, RB Deji Karim had 16 touches Sunday, and while this week’s match up against the Jets is not favorable, he has the Panthers and Bengals the next few weeks.
· Rams, Cadillac Williams who had 140 total yards Sunday will start for the injured Steven Jackson, who has a pulled muscle, WR Danny Amendola is out several weeks with an arm injury, rookie WR Greg Salas from Hawaii will get targeted the next several weeks.
· Buccaneers, LeGarrette Blount had no value last week as the Buccaneers had to throw most of the game, he has not learned the pro passing game, veteran Earnest Graham contributed last week, and will play a bigger role than first thought.
· Redskins, If Rex Grossman has not missed a wide open Jabar Gaffney on what could have been a seventy eight yard scoring play, then Gaffney would have had over 130 yards and two scores, he still was valuable with three catches, fifty yards and a score, Gaffney has a favorable match up against the Cardinals this week who allowed 400 yards to rookie Cam Newton this past Sunday.