I’m from the school that religiously drinks from the Ozzie KoolAid fountain when it comes to the NFL Draft. I liked the idea of drafting a safety but from what I’ve read my preference was S Jonathan Cyprien from Florida International. That said I think that Ozzie Newsome, Eric DeCosta, Joe Hortiz and Company have individually forgotten more about football than I’ll ever know.
That’s code for if they are happy with the pick of Matt Elam than so am I.
Clearly his college coach at the University of Florida Will Muschamp thinks the Ravens made a great choice. Here’s a few of the comments he shared with the Baltimore media today:
- “Extremely intelligent”
- “Physical and tough”
- “Plays the game the way it should be played”
- “Violent tackler with explosion in short areas”
- “Great leaping ability and ball judgment” ~ overcomes questions about height
Back during the 2004 NFL Draft a pick that got away from the Ravens that they regretted for years was safety Bob Sanders, selected with the 44th pick that year. He was small in stature but was excellent up in the box while supporting the run defense and a playmaker in the secondary. Elam possesses similar traits and he has played against top-notch competition in the SEC. He’ll be a starter from jump street.
I thought for sure that the Ravens would either trade up in the draft or trade back. The long shot I thought was to make the pick at 32 particularly when Geno Smith did his best impersonation of the Geico pig and slid (weeeeeeeeeeeeee) right on out of the first round. I thought for sure some team champing at the bit to jump in front of Jacksonville (perhaps Philadelphia) to nail Smith would go Godfather on the Ravens and make them an offer they no canna refuse.
They must really like this Elam kid.
And I’m starting to really like him too. Check out these highlights.http://youtu.be/rREjDTpTedE
What were the Dallas Cowboys thinking when they selected Wisconsin center Travis Frederick, projected by most to go in Round 3? Not a bad player by most accounts but I’m thinking Jerry Jones went a little Jason Biggs (American Pie) on the pick.
Making matters worse The Jerry swapped first round picks with the San Francisco 49ers giving away No. 18 overall for Nos. 31 and 73. The draft value charts suggest that the 73 should have been a 60.
Maybe the Oakland Raiders used the same chart as The Jerry. The Black and Silver swapped the No. 3 overall for Nos. 12 and 42. The draft value charts suggest that the 42 should be a 16.
Anyone besides me in for the Raiders moving to the AFC North?
Other draft Day 1 thoughts and observations…
- Two guards went too high – 7 & 10 overall. Seriously?
- Can we now call them the Bumblin’ Bills after selecting QB EJ Manuel with the No. 16 overall pick? Dude was at best a second round pick. I’m hearing Toronto no longer wants them.
- I got a jolly when the Rams jumped up ahead of the Jets to pick Tavon Austin. That dude is a stud. Danny Amendola who? Poor Mark Sanchez.
- If Eric Reid had fallen to the Ravens and they selected him, would M&T Bank Stadium chant “REEEEEEEEEEEID” when he made a play?
- A sincere thank you to the Bills, Bears, Giants and Cowboys for pushing better players down towards the Ravens.